Sunday, January 27, 2013

First 5K!

Well I did it!  I have officially completed my first 5K! 

Chris and I got there around 7:15 am at the race event and it was apparent that they were all still setting up.  So we walked around for a bit to help try to calm my nerves.  My mom showed up not long after.  Along with the 5K, they sponsors were also having a 4K walk, an LSU Baseball player mini reunion, a MLB Softball home run derby and a softball game.  So there were lots of things going on. 

Before the race, as we were lining up an older gentleman came up to me and started talking to me.  I think he could sense that I was a bundle of nerves.  He was really nice and asked me if this was my first 5K.  I accidentally said no and that I had run another but I think I totally misinterpreted that.  My meaning was that I've run one before on my own.  So I'm still not quite sure how to answer that lol!  Anyway right before they counted us down and we were off, the representative explained that a portion of the race was going to be through gravel.  Internally, I started to panic,  I've never run on anything besides concrete and the track at the gym.  I knew the gravel would be slow going and I do have this paranoia about tripping.  (Which did happen too, and I didn't actually fall but I did stumble... and not on the gravel part!  On the sidewalk part that was leading back to Alex Box Stadium.  Thank goodness it was still so foggy and no one saw that!)

The gravel was a little tricky.  We had such a sense fog and the humidity just hung in the air and that caused the gravel to be slick.  The gravel portion was probably about 3/4 of a mile.  About halfway through, I realized that I was a complete moron and I could have worked my way off to the side and had a smoother run on the grass. 

My biggest fear going into it was that I was going to be dead last.  Well, unfortunately that actually did happen.  BUT once I started running and saw that I was being left I just mustered up my courage and kept on trucking.  Along the way another set of runners (not doing our 5K) passed me up and yelled, "you are going great! Keep up the good work!"  That was the moment I really started to tear up.  I knew then that I would do this.  When I got to the water station just around mile 2 the little bitty skinny college aged girl said, "You are doing fantastic!!!"  And then towards the end another group of girls were cheering for me as well.  Of course, my biggest fans were there to greet me at the end.  Hubby and my mom were there.  Unfortunately, my daughter had to babysit over night Friday so she wasn't there. 

After the race the older gentleman came back up to me and asked how it went.  I told him that I finished!  He asked if I ran and walked and I said that I ran the whole thing.  I think he was impressed! I did tell him what my pace was and that I was hoping that once more weight comes off that I will be able to really work on timing.  He was really nice and encouraging and told me to look for him at other races!  I think I will do that!

Looking back, I'm actually glad that my first 5K was such a small event.  There may have been 20 runners total.  All thin, athletic and experienced.  And then there was me.  Chris and I didn't hang around much after.  He did get a slice of pizza from the vendor there but I was trying to avoid the jambalaya and beer that was being handed out.  I just guzzled my water and we went home and Chris made me a protein smoothie while I showered.  Then I put my jammies on and sat on the couch for the rest of the day.  I'm a little bit sore but not too bad. 

Ok now for the pictures:


 Before the race with former LSU Baseball players Pete Bush on the left and Michael Papajohn on the right.  You may recognize Papajohn... he killed Uncle Ben in the Tobey McGuire version of Spiderman!
There are about 20 runners

I have got to figure out a better way to turn on endomondo and then having to reattach my armband holder. Awkward!

After the race with a co-worker of my moms.  He just ran the Louisiana Marathon last weekend!


 

Well my first official 5K is in the books and I can officially cross that one off my goals list!  I'm thinking about doing at least one official 5K each month.  So since February is around the corner, need to figure out what I want to do!  In the meantime, I need to get working on decreasing time and increasing my speed I think.




8 comments:

  1. Great job, that is awesome!!!! You should be really proud:) Congrats!

    P.S. Just found your blog...I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I love yours too! We are very similar weights I think. I'm at around 220 or so.
      I'm so very proud! I'm ready for my next one to see if I can improve that time!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I get so e warm fuzzier thinking of everyone cheering you on and the nice friend you made. I'm so impressed you ran the whole thing! I've gotten to 2 1/2 miles, so I hope I can do it before the race.

    Thanks again! This totally takes some of my nerves away and makes me excited!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry somehow I missed this comment! Good luck to you when you do have your first 5k!

      Delete