Monday, April 22, 2013

2013 The Color Run Baton Rouge recap

Morning everyone!

Thought I'd give you a little recap of The Color Run that I participated in over the weekend! 

I was very anxious about this race for a number of reasons.  The first being that I knew that it would be crowded.  I had no idea how crowded it was going to be until I saw the news the night before.  They said upwards of 8,000 people!  Now I'm not sure how accurate that number was but it sure did feel like it and that total could have included spectators, I'm assuming.  The next reason I was nervous is because I have a huge dirt phobia.  I hate getting dirty or messy.  So needless to say that this was so far out of my comfort zone that I was practically in a different country.  But, in the weeks leading up to the race, I figured that I really needed something to look forward to to get me back to running regularly again.  I knew that I wouldn't likely be able to run the whole thing but I estimate that I did run probably about 60% of it.

The good:
The weather actually turned out to be perfect.  It was in the 50s and a little chilly in the shade.  I ended up wearing a long sleeved shirt and a short sleeved on top and I was very comfortable in that.

This time I did not come in last!

The bad:
Chris went with me to cheer me on and he was supposed to be my official photographer.  He ended up spending most of the time on the sidelines trying to avoid paint packets and he completely missed me crossing the finish.  We just didn't see each other!

The ugly:
Color in every orafice.  The volunteers were aiming for faces I think.  Thru each color station, I had decided that I was going to run directly in the middle and run straight through them and not walk.  Well that plan sort of backfired on me because I ended up having to run and hold my breath at the same time.  Towards the end of the paint station, I was exhaling and trying to breathe air in that I inhaled my share of coloring.

Also, at the beginning there were many announcements stating that if you were walking to stay to the right so the runners can have the left hand side.  Since I was alternating running/walking, I had started in the middle.  On my running parts, I ended up having to zig-zag all over the place just to get around people.  Walkers were everywhere and seemed to be in large groups.  It was frustrating and when I was ready for a walking break, I was trying to move over all the way to the right and had to zig zag again.

Oh as a comparison, this is my first 5K:

And this was The Color Run 5K:  (Times are a bit better, I think, and this is with only 60% running and several hills)


Ok now that that is out of the way, here are some pics!  Some of these are duplicates if you are fans on my facebook page...








TL;DR - Had fun, got color in my nose.  Probably wouldn't do it again though unless I had a friend or family member who wanted to do it.

7 comments:

  1. OK, I have heard of color runs but didn't really know what that meant. I can't believe volunteers throw paint at you. It's kind-of funny, and I would like to try one sometime, just to say I have. But, I don't really think that sounds like my cup of tea. Great recap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I'm definitely glad that I tried it once. Now that I've done it, I can just cross it off my bucket list and move onto the next adventure!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic improvement!! :) Great work and kudos for going outside of your comfort zone! I'm doing the color run in June so I'm definitely going to find a bandana to get through those color stations. You think they'd aim for the shirt and not the face. My first 5K is this Sunday so I'm shaking in my boots and this was a great read for me. You rock girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a bandana would be an awesome idea. And make sure you have sunglasses too, you don't want that stuff in your eyes either. I was basically running blind. I had left my glasses with Chris, and I didn't want to wear my contacts. I wasn't sure what the colors would do to them if I got it in my eyes. So, I just focused on what was directly in front of me while I ran. Chris said next time if I wanted to see, he would buy me some goggles. I said, "No thank you, I'd rather not look like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar". LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh and you are gonna rock your first 5K! I can't wait to hear all about it! Is your dad still going to be there with you?

      Delete
    3. Kudos to to you!!!!!!!

      Iam proud of you.
      I have been slacking :(

      Delete
    4. Thanks! (((HUGS))) You will get back in the swing of things soon!

      Delete