Thursday, April 4, 2013

Back to normal-ish

I gave myself the last 2 days and I am really feeling much, much better.  I think between the Jillian 30DS, trying to squeeze in running, normal elliptical, walking and weights was just too much at once.  I may still do the Jillian thing but I am not going to try to do it every single day.  Maybe just a few days a week and see how it goes.  I still love the elliptical so I won't be quitting that anytime soon.  It is my "fun" workout and I really find that rewatching those Doctor Who episodes is  more like a treat for me than working out.  But I have to try to find a good balance for the running.  I've been REALLY slacking with it lately.  I don't think I've ran in 2 weeks now.  I do love the feeling I get after but the working myself up to doing it and the inital dread of having to do it can be overwelming for me at times. 

I'm not sure if I am just not quite disciplined enough for it or if I just need a structured program.  Back when I was doing the C25K I never had a problem with the running.  I just went out and did it.  Now that I'm kinda winging it, I am just finding it harder and harder to keep up and to actually go do it.

Maybe I need a drill instructor to follow me around and just tell me what to do.
Ermey would kick my behind into gear...
I think another problem I'm having is the waiting until after work to do all my exercising.  I get off work at 3:30, home by 3:45, changed by 4ish and by the time I'm done with all my stuff (or any combination thereof), it's like 6 or 6:30.  (Thank the heavens above that Chris is really good about helping with the cooking.)   And then of course, by the time that I shower, eat dinner and sit down to relax it's almost time for bed. /sigh  I know it sounds like I'm complaining and I am really not.  I have more time now that I had back when Dev was in school so I really think that I just need to work on managing my time better.  If I can actually get up around 4:30 in the morning, I can easily do at least 30 min on the elliptical and/or 30DS.  And then after work I can either go run on my running days, walk or go do 30 more min of something else.  Then I can theoretically be finished by 4:30pm or 5 and that will give me a better balance I think.

The problem is the waking up part.

There is really no excuse for me to not use this beauty.  It's even situated in front of the tv... Doyle, however, is still unsure about this contraption.
Ok so todays game plan is this.  I've spent the last 2 days, exercise-less and since I started this on November 7th, I've always said that I would NEVER go more than 2 days without doing some form of exercise.  Time for me to get back on the proverbial wagon.  After work.... gym.  Do not sit in front of computer or on the couch.  I will do at least 45 minutes on the elliptical and do my weights.  I'd like to maybe try to run for about 15.  I know I need to ease back into running again.  And too much at once is tough for me.  15 minutes is do-able and then hopefully I can run again on Saturday for a bit longer.

Pity Party is over and today is a new day!

Thank you all so much for the messages and support.  It really means the world to me!  You guys rock (and you really keep me motivated)!  <3 to you all!

8 comments:

  1. Anything Jillian Michaels is hard. It took me 2 months to finish 30DS. And it's going to take me 5-6 weeks to finish Ripped in 30 (if I continue at my pace), so there's a bit of improvement there lol. It is hard to do both and rest days are so important so you don't burnout. But I promise you will get used to it. :) I found this running program for a 10K that looks great: http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kbeginner.htm

    There's your schedule, now get to it missy! ;) You're an inspiration to me, truly. I'm running my 5K for you lady!! Chin up and continue on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! That does look like an easy plan to do. Bookmarking it so once I get back to regularly running 5k then I will start this or something very similar. There really is no excuse for me to not run 3 times per week. I can easily make the time for exercise, I need to have that same attitude with running!

      Delete
  2. I've been dying to get an elliptical since I get super bored while watching TV at night. I used to snack, but since I don't do that anymore, I feel stupid just sitting/laying there with nothing to do. I don't knit or anything like that, and I can't really play games on my phone because then I can't see what's happening in the show. I think I'd probably work out more (and be less bored) if I could use the elliptical. It would keep me going too, as in "just til the next commercial... just til the end of the show..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, and it really is amazing how easily the time passes when you are on it too! I think you would like it!

      Delete
  3. That's a really nice elliptical! I'm sure jealous! I have a cheap-o exercise bike that I try to ride at least 30 minutes a night (my butt can't take much more than that) and that helps. I am trying to do a 5k each month this year, but have a hard time going out and walking to practice for them. Unless I'm competing or have someone with me, it's just boring. I'm always dreaming that some health nut will take me under their wing and whip me into shape by making me work out with them, and being my personal trainer, but that's just a dream! I have to do everything all by myself, and it sucks! But I know I can do it. I know you can do it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh it does get so boring doing it on your own! Do you have some headphones or something to listen to to help pass the time? That usually helps me at least and then I forget how long I've been going when I'm singing along with a song or something. And it DEFINITELY helps with being able to watch tv or netflix while on the elliptical. Is your exercise bike somewhere that you can watch some tv while doing it?
      I'd LOVE to be able to afford a personal trainer too. Maybe one day!

      Delete
  4. I have never been happy with Jillian...she is hard but the good bit is just twenty minutes.
    I tried but it has never worked for me. I like walk away the pounds though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I'm liking it so far though. I love the different ways she incorporates everything. Even though I'm cussing her out in one breath, I always do feel like I'm making progress with her at least!

      Delete