Monday, June 24, 2013

ONEderland and beyond

I've been cautiously nervous when mentioning to everyone that I'm below 200 now just because of the simple fact that I'm just barely below it.  In fact, I kinda glossed over it all together but reality is starting to sink in and I realize just how major an accomplishment this has been.  Each time I've stepped on the scale since last Tuesday I saw a number that started with a 1 instead of a 2.  For so long now that has been my #1 major hurdle to cross with this whole lifestyle change.   I have been over 200 now for about 13 years or so.  And when I think back even further, that means that for about 17 years now I have not been happy with myself.  I have not cared for myself or put myself first when it came down to it.  I'm going to be 39 years old next month and I'm determined to make 39 the best year that I've had in 17 years. 

I took a pic yesterday after my run since I haven't really been seeing a lot of progress lately but was blown away when I put the pic side by side with one that I came across recently of me and Devyn right before her prom. 

Now disclaimer time... I asked Chris if I really looked like that.  He said yes.  Now I'm not sure why but I don't see myself looking THAT small.  Of course, that also isn't a good angle of my behind since it's still huge too.  But even still, progress!  Why is it that we can't see changes in the mirror each day but yet when you compare them to an older pic, then you can see the obvious?  I certainly still do not feel smaller.  I still see all my imperfections and they are glaringly in my face practically all the time.

If you read my last post, you'll remember that I was having a staycation last week.  And I also wanted to try something that I haven't done in quite a long time.  I wanted to go swimming.  After heading to the gym Thursday during the day and chickening out due to all the kids that were there for summer camp, I put on a brave face and went to try again Friday morning.
Photo courtesty of CB Pennington YMCA

I was so nervous but I knew that I would hate myself if I chickened out yet again.  I went into the locker room and changed. 

I had a LOT of fun.  I'm so glad I went.  I'm not going to lie though, it was hard and I was pretty sore the next day.  Still.  Worth it!  I will definitely be doing it again when I can get the time and I do need a new swimsuit I've discovered.  I did laps for about an hour and I was very, very slow.  Basically, just think of the opposite of Michael Phelps and that was me. 

I had a couple of experiences this past week while running.  Both good!  Thursday, instead of following C25K, I just felt like I wanted to run. 

I ran a mile straight twice this week.  I haven't done that in several months and get this... I PR'ed on BOTH runs! 

The first one apparently matched my personal best from before when I was running regularly but the second one, I went sub 14!   So I think I'm going to start taking on distance a bit more too.  I want to get back to running 5K's regularly and just see how that feels and go from there!

And afterwards, I was so thrilled, I decided to treat the family and myself to some blueberry pancakes. 

And since I've been posting cat pictures lately, thought I'd share one of Oz from Saturday before we played Dungeons and Dragons with some friends.  Here he is guarding the dice (his favorite thing ever...)

14 comments:

  1. I am just so proud of you :). You look great and yes it is a huge difference! Just keep going, we're all rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic, Desiree!! So much will power and hard work but it is really paying off. I hope you can soon see yourself as others see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so proud of you Desiree! Saw you at runs for cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure if I made the deadline there! :)

      Delete
  4. That progress pic is amazing! You can see all the hard work you've put in so make sure to enjoy it :D Great job on the runs! Those pancakes look like cookies, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's really amazing to see how far I've come. I can't wait to see where this journey takes me!

      Oh pancakes. How do I love thee? Pancakes are my most favorite thing in the world. And add blueberries! :D

      Delete
  5. Awesome! WAY TO GO and keep up the good work. I have just started my journey to being fit. Again. For most of the last 19 years I have not seen #1 either. I'm sad and embarrassed to admit. I am 47 and never planned it this way. Praying I can get this off before 50 so I can see 60 and 70 and 80.
    You look fantastic!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every journey begins with a single step! Just start off by making small changes. You can totally do this! I'm rooting for you!

      Delete
  6. This is absolutely fantastic and inspiring!!! Way to go for making the lifestyle changes necessary be healthier. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your run! You're looking great!

    SGBC

    ReplyDelete