Friday, August 30, 2013

A rant about Women's Sizes

I am a HUGE college sports fan.  LSU specifically (Geaux Tigers!).  I love it all.  Basketball (Men's and Women's), football, softball, baseball.   So since football season has FINALLY gotten here, I knew that I would need to purchase some more t-shirts.  And honestly, y'all know how much I like my t-shirts...

Plus, losing weight is a good enough excuse, right?

This is my old shirt that was actually too tight on me 2 years ago.  And now that it's faded, I was just looking for a good excuse to come along to get some more LSU gear.  This is an XL Adult size:

Loki says, "Work it, girl!"

It still fits pretty well, so I will definitely keep it in the rotation.

I went to a local sports store here and to be honest, I really don't like to clothes shop.  Ever.  So I tried the "hold-it-up-against-me-to-see-if-it-looked-like-it-would-fit" method.  I ended up grabbing 2 shirts that looked cute, paid the man, and exited and went on my merry way.  8 minutes and I was outta there.  I know that there is a lesson somewhere in this paragraph that I need to learn, but apparently I am immune to it.  

I think the main deal is that I just don't like trying on clothes.  It was such a source of a downward spiral that would lead to a full blown depression that even today, I try to avoid doing it at all costs.  And I guess, I can justify it in my mind and think, well, if it doesn't fit, I can either bring it back or just wait around until I can wear it. 

So back to the actual topic at hand and venting about women's sizes before I go off on a tangent.  I picked up the 2 shirts and they looked like they would fit.  I got home to try them on and this happened:

sad face :(





This is a Women's Large.  Adorable and vintage Tiger t-shirt that I absolutely love.   Too tight and the muffin top thing is going on .  So, I'll have to wait to wear it.  Loki even disapproves.

I tried this one one next:

Pic at home came out blurry so had to retake it at work...
This is an Adult Medium.  MEDIUM.  And just in case you skimmed... M-E-D-I-U-M!  What the holy crap on a cracker!  I'm in a medium but yet, can't squeeze into a Women's large. 

I think part of the fault lies with the fact that manufacturers want to make every single thing that's branded "Women's" sized to be skin tight.  Seriously?  I am not a stick.  Skin tight will not look good on me for a very, very, very long time, if ever!  If I were not as "blessed" up top either, it may not be quite as bad.  But either way, I'm still bummed that the women's sizes do that to us. 

Until they get this right, I will stick to my loose, flowy clothing and t-shirts that do not make me look like a Stay Puft Marshmellow man.



Here's a pic of my lovely boy "assistant".






20 comments:

  1. When I get the "muffin top" look with a t-shirt, I'll sometimes layer a tight fitting tank underneath (like a camisole) and it's helps the shirt be a little less sheer and suck me in! Might be worth a try!

    I feel you on women's size though. Never know from store to the next what size I'll be. SO FRUSTRATING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. It makes ordering shirts online just about impossible. And I can't even imagine how thin someone would have to be to wear a small in "woman's" sized t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, crazy to think that some can! Or if they are that small at least they don't mind wearing it tight. I'm not sure I'll ever be "not" self-conscious enough to do that....

      Delete
  3. I really hate shopping and this is the exact reason why. I see things online I liked to have but with the way they size things I'm scared to order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree, you're NOT alone, the pics you posted could have been me 100,000 times asking WTF! What's going on with the skintight rage, it's good for layering in winter, or under sweatshirts for chilly evenings, but the rest of the time? Even skinny girls I know are looking 'rolly' with bra bulge and every imperfection highlighted by this trend. The good news is, holy smokes your pics look OUTSTANDING! You have come so far and it's amazing the difference these shirts show in the pics. I'll point out one upside to the too tight shirt- it totally shows better just how much you've done. =D

    I'm excited right now to be in a men's large tee, but even then half the time they're so long I have to cut 2-4" off the bottom so it fits more comfortably and is flattering. FORGET women's sizes 80% of the time over here. Imagine my disappointment when my bf's company got a ton of tees and everyone was trying to pressure me to try on one of the women's shirts and to my dismay I found skintight babydoll style XL. NO. Just. No. It was horrifying when I tried and I haven't worn it on it's own yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, hun! :)

      Yes, you are right about those men t-shirts. I hate that they do end up looking like they are dresses when they get too long. I had to throw away a few of mine that are now like that. I feel like I'm wearing a tent now. (Which I guess is not a bad problem to have, actually!)

      Delete
  5. Try ordering geeky shirts in female form from Her Universe. To them, an XL is a normal size S. And i'm not kidding, I knew they ran small, but thought I'd give the new "Plus size!!111" a try... it's pretty bad. The shirts are all sized Junior apparently and are cut way small. Worst part? There is NO RETURN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. That stinks! I usually order mine from either thinkgeek.com or from teefury.com. Usually I end up buying the mens sizes anyway just because I hate the Women's cut so much!

      Delete
  6. Her Universe sizes their "plus size" shirts like normal Juniors, and small fit at that. And they have a NO RETURN policy... Seriously, I wear a L in regular women's t-shirts and a HerUniverse XXL fits like your yellow shirt up there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Ladies" t-shirts can smeg off. The cap sleeves, fitted bust, tight waist, and virtually zero hips means it's meant for juniors, not women. Not that there's anything wrong with juniors (slim fit, not curvy), but there needs to be more variety. Not all women want cap sleeves. Some of us prefer short sleeves that come closer to our elbow. Blargh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you said "smeg". Hehhe

      YES! Cap sleeves! Hate them!!! GRR!

      Delete
  8. there are jusat too many sizes for girls. A 'L'may actually be a M. Love the kitty's pic--cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate shopping for clothes, its a size thing. I am in between and have been for years. Even when I was smaller. Always blessed on top so to fit there, too big on the bottom. Now with health issues I have a swollen middle and nothing fits right :(
    rant away
    There is no quality control on sizes, each manufacturer has their own sizes and so does each designer. So you could wear a 6, 8 and 10 depending on who makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHHHH I AGREE WITH YOU! RANT RANT RANT WOMEN'S CLOTHES SIZE argh for REAL that always makes me so mad. It's a problem for me because I am NOT "blessed" in the chest area (lol) and am actually probably a size 12-14 on top, but a size 20 on bottom. WTF, man? Clothes shopping is impossible, and women's sizes say a lot about our society...you look SO good though!

    ReplyDelete