Wednesday, August 21, 2013

a weigh in and an injury

Good morning!

I had a pretty good Weigh In this morning.  Down 2.2 this week!  It's really nice to actually see some movement on the scale again.  Let's just hope it just stays consistent! 

 So I did something Monday night while bowling.  I think (according to webmd) that I pulled my Achilles Tendon behind my right foot.  It's been sensitive enough to cause a limp when walking.  I woke up yesterday morning and went for a 30 minute walk just to sort of test the waters.  I did alright but it is still noticeable.  I also went to the gym after work to see if the elliptical would give me a problem.  The elliptical was wonderful.  No issues, nor any pain.  In fact, so much so, that I still managed to do a whole hour. 


But, back to the issue at hand, I'm really kinda freaking out about this.  Again, once I stepped off the elliptical and started walking normal again, the pain resumed.   It's mostly when I flex my foot or at the apex of a step that I feel the discomfort.

I don't want to stop running right now, but at the same time, I'm really scared to chance it.  I've got my Zoo race this Saturday.   I think I will not run for the rest of the week and play Saturday by ear.  I'm glad now that I did get 2 miles in on Monday morning. 

So, here's my WWYD... should I a) completely rest until Saturday  b) only do elliptical and/or light weights at the gym (none involving my right foot) or c) go for a test run tomorrow (Thursday) of only a mile and see how it feels.

Honestly, the though of not exercising scares me more than missing the run.  I know how I am. I miss one day, and that turns into 2 and so on and so on.  I'm at the point now - 9 months in - where I am finally feeling like I'm dedicated to this.  It's gotten to where the exercise is so ingrained that I'm still actually disappointed when Sunday gets here (my normal rest day).  If you would have asked me before November 6th if I would ever have actually wanted to exercise and craved it, I would have looked at you like you grew a second head!  So I guess in a way, that's why I'm so very nervous about this injury.  I don't want to make it worse but at the same time, I don't want to lose all the momentum that I have built up. 

And of course, there is the Zoo Zoom 5K.  I am really looking forward to that one too.  I'd really not want to miss it. 

Ok enough ranting about owies.  I made another protein smoothie yesterday and it was wonderful!

I tweaked one that my friend, Michele from Basically, run! gave me (mainly because I didn't have all the ingredients).

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Protein Smoothie





1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 tbsp oreo cookies and cream pudding mix (dry)
1 tbsp chocolate pudding mix (dry)
1 cup Almond Milk (Vanilla flavored)
10 cubes ice


It was really, really yummy.  And it appeased that chocolate craving that I was having.

And of course, here's the obligatory cat picture.  If you are a Game of Thrones fan, you will like this.  I made our house Sigil and we have a Doyle Direcat as our mascot.  :)


August Exercise Minutes - 925/1600

How do you handle injuries?  Do you freak out and throw a tantrum (like I did internally, when it happened)?   Rest or keep on moving, albeit within reason?

 

20 comments:

  1. Welcome to the injury club! My leg is finally healing some. I'm giving it one more day and then easing back into running. I throw tantrums and get really depressed when I can't run. I'm getting better about it now, but in the beginning I was terrified it was going to ruin everything. Having races every month keeps me motivated to keep going with training. I'm not going to lie, I'm freaking out since I injured myself 10 days before my first 10K, but I'll make it through somehow! Rest, then keep on plugging along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, and that's a good point. At least you always have something to look forward to and train for. Even if I do miss this one, I do have others on the horizon.

      Delete
  2. I get that fear, but don't push yourself to get back into running too soon even if its feeling better, or you'll end up right back where you started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that's true. I think I will lay off and play things by ear.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you might have Achilles tendonitis. Is there sort of a creaking feel when you point and flex your foot? I've dealt with this before when picking up mileage, especially while doing too much, too soon. Give it some time, take some NSAIDs for pain/inflammation, and stretch your calves a lot. Running can be really hard on the lower half of the body, but if you know how to treat it and strengthen your calves to prevent re-injury, you should be well on your way.

      Delete
  3. I seem to recall a certain person having these same worries months ago when she got sick *ahem* and here she is today. You got this! An injury break isn't the same as a 'screw it' break by any means! This is something I've had to accept numerous times with my knee problems this year. You know what your fears and weaknesses are. Take the time to let it heal and just stay on top of everything else. You'll be back on this lickety split, but if you don't let it heal up that injury can turn into a massive, long term pain in the butt! (Says gal that's known two people who ignored Achilles issues and one wound up in a space boot for almost a year- the other, wound up tearing it and had surgery!) Couple days of down time, totally preferable. None the less, soooo frustrating. ((hugs)) and congrats on the scale victory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love you girl and you know it! You are so right. I'm so terrified of turning back into the person I was 10 months ago, that I'm not really looking at the point I'm at now. And you're right. I can't ignore this. I will rest up and take it day by day.

      Delete
  4. Good job on the loss, and I would rest and see where you are come your race. There is no need in causing yourself more pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, I'm going to make the final decision tomorrow I think. So far, it's better today, but still not 100%. I'm still walking with a slight limp.

      Delete
  5. I think you should light workouts so you don't put too much stress on your leg. I'm not sure about doing the race right now, maybe see how you feel in a few days and try a run the day before to be sure? Just don't stress yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Gonna see how it goes tomorrow and I'll decide then, I think.

      Delete
  6. That smoothie sounds great. About the injury. You don't want to hurt it worse, I would do the elliptical and maybe call off the race. That's me. Do what you feel is best for your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yea. That may end up being the plan of action there.

      Delete
  7. Love the smoothie recipe. And, I'm sure you need to rest, but I totally understand the fear of not exercising. I am that way with almost any of my good habits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it maybe tendonitis too....which ice, rest and anti inflammatory help with but rest is #1. This is much easier said than done but you need to rest or you will stay hurt or even worse get more hurt. Keep at the elliptical or a bike to keep your workouts going :)

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yea, I'm going to hit the elliptical today I think, even if it's only for 30 minutes. Still better than nothing. Tomorrow, I'll make the final decision after I get up and see how everything feels. I'd hate to waste a registration fee, but it was only $22...

      Delete
  9. Um yeah, I freak out, throw a tantrum and assume that my running career is over and I'll be gaining 600 pounds since I can't workout. I've got a touchy achilles/heel/bursitis thing in my foot and I'm kind of cranky about it. Hope we both feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, thats exactly what is going through my head! LOL Glad I'm not the only one. I'm planning on taking it very easy this weekend and hopefully soon, I'll be back at 100%. Hope you are feeling better as well.

      Delete