Monday, September 16, 2013

Running love/hate

This is such a recurring theme with me and I finally really need to address it and try to figure out why I struggle so much with running. 

What I like about running:
1. the feeling of accomplishment when I set out to run x number of miles and winning the mental battle and completing my task
2. the dull ache in my legs after
3. unplugging for a bit and the way it allows you to de-stress
4. weight loss seems to be faster when I run regularly

What I hate about running:
1.  Running, in general
2.  Self loathing because of how slow I am.  *(I know as the weight falls that the speed will increase, but geez, I feel like such a loser when I see all these other 7 minute milers or even 12 minute milers out there.  Jealousy is not a pretty color for me...)
3. In the summer, the heat and humidity make it unbearable in South Louisiana.  I will happily add layers and run in 32º temps but when it is 87º at 5:30 in he morning and at 94% humidity or higher---ugh. 

I think, and I'm being honest right now, that its the heat more than anything that is making me not want to do it.  I can go to the gym and get on the elliptical and not even bat an eyelash and have an hour fly by.   Tennis, I am LOVING!  Even despite the heat now.  I'm not sure if it is just because I see tangible results as I play or what.  And I know I'm going to have to continue to keep up with my cardio to improve my tennis game as well.  So I am not quitting running by any means.

So, yes, it's been 2 weeks to the day that I have had my last run.  But, I will do it tomorrow as I have no excuse.  I am taking off work tomorrow since my dad is having surgery on his shoulder so I will have some time in the morning that I can commit to a run before we have to head up to the surgical center. 

And despite all this I've gone ahead and scheduled my next 5K.   I'm finding more and more that I need to have that next event to look forward to and that usually will help me keep my running schedule in check.  When I don't have anything planned, I feel like I automatically have a built in excuse to brush it off and go do the elliptical instead. 

Plus, if I play my cards right and I can get Chris on track to building our fence, maybe this 5K will be a good excuse to adopt a new furbaby.  I've been really wanting to adopt again and missing Buzz a lot isn't helping matters.   Plus, who doesn't love cute little doggies in Halloween costumes!?  :)


31 comments:

  1. I totally understand about the heat. I'm the same way, as I hit maybe half a block and think to myself 'why on earth am I out here?'. Do not get discouraged at your speed. It will pick up, but you have to go out and do it and I know you can :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather is my biggest deterrent. And we don't have many perfect days! But you are doing so great, and I know you will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather is the biggest deterrent for running and walking for me. I don't like the cold much but I really can't take the heat! But you are doing just great, and I know you will continue. You have to be SO PROUD of what you have accomplished, and you look fantastic and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsye! I just need to buck up and do it! The weather will *hopefully* be getting cooler soon and it will get easier!

      Delete
  4. I certainly don't love running all the time. Sometimes it's just crap! But you have the right mindset and are doing amazing. Way to go scheduling a race. I need to do that and give myself some kind of running motivation to push myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, scheduling a race really helps keep me on track. It really does.

      Delete
  5. I did a lot of running on the treadmill this summer due to the Vegas heat, then pushed myself out there to do a bit more and try and get used to the heat a bit. I am glad I did it, but so glad it's a dry heat here! I love running, except often in those few moments just before it starts and for a few while doing it. I think that is the way it is with most of us. You haven't stopped your fitness and that is the important part. Keep it up and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, the first mile for me is always the worst. And add the heat into that equation = just unbearable and I talk myself out of it every single time

      Delete
  6. You are doing awesome, just keep it up and keep having fun at fitness whatever it is. The more you enjoy it the more of a lifestyle it will be. I'm not sure anyone loves running all the time we just do better and keep doing it if we focus on the positive. Keep it up, your doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may just be the summer heat and humidity. I must admit that I am dreading my runs right now and I'm 100% sure that it is weather related. I think it's been so long since it was cool and crisp outside (it feels like forever) that we've all forgotten how nice it is to run when you're not drenched in sweat after 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I'm thinking so too. I cannot wait for the weather to start cooling down!

      Delete
  8. I don't know of many people who can even tolerate the heat much less run outside in these temps. That pretty much makes us rockstars in my book! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thats true! Sad fact is it doesn't matter if you get up at 5am or do it at 5pm. You are drenched within 2 minutes either way.

      Delete
  9. I have such a love/hate relationship with running! I love it when I'm done, but I have the biggest problem setting aside the big block of time and getting the kiddos together to do it! Good job setting up another goal with a 5K - I want to do another one so bad, but I'm not sure what will be out there for MN fall/winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can find one within the next few weeks before it gets too cold. Yea, I can imagine how hard it would be to coordinate 2 little ones too.

      Delete
  10. It is seriously like I wrote that list.....thank you!!! We have to meet up someday and 1. hang and 2. run together as proud turtles!!! :)

    The 1 time I was in NOLA it was the end of Feb and so humid already I was dying on my run!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, sadly we live with humidity here, even in the 3 weeks we have of Winter! And yes! We absolutely have to meet up one day and embrace our turtle-dom! :D

      Delete
  11. Just found your blog today and wanted to let you know that you are definitely not alone! I have major struggles with the weather when it comes to running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the worst when it is just so hot out! I have no problem running in the cold, but the heat and humidity, I just can't deal. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  12. Haha! I love your #1 thing you hate about running. I feel the same way. I don't know how I can be addicted to something I dislike so much ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!? ;) I just get too many good results to stop all together. I'm planning on putting up my Halloween/fall decorations this weekend so naturally that means the weather is going to start getting cooler, right?... (here's hoping!)

      Delete
  13. Your #2 thing you hate about running is the #1 thing I hate. :/ I know speed will come but I'm really impatient and I read a lot of running blogs and feel like a turtle when I compare, which I know is a huge no no. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I do that all the time. It's so hard not to compare. We will get there though. If not, we will just make our own turtle club! :)

      Delete
  14. You got back to running, I knew you would! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see a WDW race in your future! (Now THAT'S motivation! ;D)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't imagine running in Southern Louisiana! I think that's a big part of the reason I didn't start running until I moved to the Midwest - it would have been impossible down south (from a little town north of Lake Charles). I definitely feel like a slow runner, but that's still running right? And even as a slow runner, I do find myself gradually getting faster with practice and weight loss and the arrival of fall weather. (PS Love your shirts in the header! Proudly wore my Wonder Woman undies post-10K this weekend to celebrate, so I embrace the geek too!) -Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, it really is bad during the summer. I try to get up and do it as early as I can but most mornings especially before work, I just want to sleep. I'm hoping once we start getting cooler temps down here that I will be more willing and apt to go do it again!

      Thanks about the tshirt compliment! LOL Way to rock those Wonder Woman undies! I think I have the Avengers on right now LOL!!!

      Delete