Monday, September 23, 2013

Tennis update

I haven't updated in a while about my tennis adventures so I thought I'd make a post about how it has been going.  Last week was rained out for the New Players Clinic on Thursday, but I did make the one the Thursday before that. 

In between the clinics, Chris and I have gone each Sunday and volleyed for a bit and actually the last 2 Sundays we have rented a ball machine.  I think that has really helped me focus on proper form with my strokes.  So I'm really excited to go to this weeks lesson, especially since last Thursday's rainout.  The ball machine was actually really intimidating at first.  But thankfully Chris was there to help me make adjustments and such.  The week before, I basically stood stationary and hit either forehand or backhand.  Yesterday, however, I managed to do a good bit of running.  We made the width go further out and also sped the ball pace up a bit so they were coming a bit faster.  That definitely got the heart rate going!

The last clinic that I attended, they were doing a Stroke of the Month club beforehand and one of the ladies stayed behind and attended the New Players Clinic with me.  So I had some company at least.  We finally got to work on serving and it was so much fun.   I really am having a great time with these clinics and I almost have a co-worker talked into attending one too.  

In other news, the Canadian Geese have decided to go back north but they left some wonderful presents behind in the parking lot.

Dodging poo should be an Olympic sport

And some new feathery friends have decided to join us. 


Oh, I am not sure if I posted this pic or not but I did get some actual Tennis Shoes and I've been breaking them in.  So far so good there.  The only downside is that they are pink.  Ah well, choices were slim and we had to go to like 4 different places just to find a pair that I liked.






So, in finishing up this post, basically I am having a ball playing.  I can't wait to go each week and I look forward to it so much (and you burn a ton of calories, so it's a win-win!)  I'm still weaker with my backhand than my forehand so I think Thursday in addition to the New Player's clinic, I'm going to go an hour earlier and attend the stroke of the month featuring the backhand.  An hour worth of backhand and an hour worth of New Player's Clinic = Tennis Nirvana! 

8 comments:

  1. I got SO excited for a second when you said "Tennis Shoes"...that's what I call regular everyday "sneakers"...I don't say sneakers though, I call them tennis shoes. Then I realized you were talking about actual TENNIS shoes. Haha whoops! Ah well. Great job with the tennis machine, sounds like you got it down! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yea, I call everything "tennis shoes" too but now that I'm actually playing tennis, I need to find something else to call my regular normal running and everyday ones. I guess maybe we can adopt a British accent and call them "trainers"? :D

      Delete
  2. I wish I lived closer this tennis clinic sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it is a blast! I wish more people played cause I need to meet more people who want to play and aren't actively doing it just to humor me. :/

      Delete
  3. Nice job! Glad to hear you've found an awesome calorie torcher you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great that you are enjoying tennis! It looks like it would be fun to try :)

    ReplyDelete