Thursday, October 10, 2013

NSV Thursday and never, ever give up

So remember my post yesterday about the little streak that I had managed to start?  Yea, um, I totally jinxed myself.   I had the best of intentions though but when I look back I had several missed opportunities that I should have acted upon.  The game plan yesterday was for Chris and I go volley and work on tennis.  Chris didn't get home until around 5:45 so we were pushing to get out of the door before sundown.  Also, as soon as I got home from work yesterday, I went into our master bedroom towards the bathroom.  Every now and then the door locks on its own for no apparent reason.  Yesterday it did it again.  We put the key on top of the door frame but I can't ever get it to work right and all of my workout capris just happened to be in the bathroom.  So instead of just killing time by walking (I could have put on normal jeans or something...) and waiting on Chris to get home, I plopped my behind on the couch.  Missed opportunity #1.  Missed opportunity #2 and #3 were from me oversleeping yesterday and not walking during my lunch break.  And missed opportunity #4 is because the park that we normally go volley on had Tennis League matches going on and all the courts were full.  D'oh to us.  So at this point the sun was starting to set so I pulled out my phone and started googling local BREC parks that have lighted courts.  We went to 3 different parks and they were either full of people playing or the lights weren't on.  At this point it was nearing 7:30 and I was starting to get grumpy from being hungry.  I had really hoped and planned to be home by then so I just told Chris to forget it and we would just do our normal lesson today.  And because I was so grumpy apparently I get even moreso when I miss a workout now especially when it is my own fault.

Anyhoooo, time for a new streak I suppose...

button


My NSV for this week is a big one for me personally.  A little backstory here.  Throughout my entire life, when things got tough, I quit.  I've started so many, many things and have never seen very many of them through.  I was the opposite of the Billy Ocean song, "When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going".  I stopped playing basketball my senior year of high school instead of sticking it out and I've regretted it every single day since then.  I could have had wonderful memories of that last year but instead I have none.  I have a whole slew of self-esteem issues and I get really down on myself a lot of times and the not seeing things through usually falls in line with those issues. 


But, I'm gradually learning things about myself during this whole process of dieting and exercise.  I'm slowly learning that I am much stronger than I think I am, and by that I mean both emotionally and physically.  Heck, after coming in last in 2 different 5K's would have normally sent me into a tailspin of embarrassment and self-loathing and I'm pretty sure the old me would have never done a second one much less continuing to search for new races to sign up to run. 


So my NSV this week is not giving up. 




This pic is so amazing to me.  It doesn't matter really if you come in first or last.  The fact that you got out there and gave it your all is what really counts.





If you are in need of some motivation, check out these pics from some of the finishers of the Twin Cities Marathon recently.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you. I needed that. I have the tendency to give up but expect and cheer everyone else on. I need to be my own cheerleader. And there is only can, not try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's hard to take a step back and really put yourself in the forefront. But the main thing is when you fall down, just pick yourself back up and dust yourself off. (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. Heh as long as you don't start a "days until I HAVEN'T worked out" streak lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never Give Up is such a powerful statement. I truly believe it is why I've finally shed 60+ pounds and I truly believe it is why I will get to my goal weight. It may take time and I will stumble and fall but I am determined to start over again every stinking time until I get there. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great NSV to have this week! I have always been the same way. I quit softball right before high school because I was insecure about playing at that level.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary! I did play softball in HS but I did give up basketball. I still regret that decision! I had so many fun years playing and now that I can't, I miss it terribly and always wonder what if...

      Delete
  5. I totally understand on the normal give-up-ness and self-loathing so many congrats on the deciding to keep on going anyways! Last or not, still doing it is amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are killing it!! Don't you just hate it when you have a certain plan and the Universe works against you? Sends me into a tailspin! And as far as giving up, I just don't see it - you're doing an amazing job and you aren't that person anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! You are right! I'm not the same person anymore!

      Delete
  7. Amazing! There is a saying going around pinterest that says, "No matter how slow you are, you are still lapping someone sitting on the couch." I love that! I linked up this week for the first time and shared that I finally ran a mile nonstop.
    I'm running a 5k next week and I'm pretty sure I'll be the last runner as well. But we all start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing such a great NSV! Not giving up is huge. I know I'm always saying that while I have so many months where I don't lose weight (or gain) that at least I'm not giving up. I'm still getting back on the horse and trying again! Just keep at it. We will get there eventually !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that's a great NSV! I get the same way sometimes when plans get ruined or life gets in the way. You made a good effort at it though, so kudos for that.

    ReplyDelete