Sunday, October 6, 2013

Yelp! 5K (or the Best Worst Run I have ever had)

Before the run




Hey guys!

Just got back about an hour ago from the Yelp 5K Fun Run!  I had a great time even though my worst fear happened again!  Yep...came in dead last.  Again.  I'm starting to make this a habit!  (Read about my first 5K here... )  More on that in a bit.  Now onto the recap with loads of pics!

Chris and I arrived about an hour and 15 minutes early.   I had been guzzling water all morning (trying to get my ounces in each day), so naturally even after going to the bathroom right before I left, I had to go again.  I found a dreaded porta-potty.  Ugh, no choice but when ya gotta go, you gotta go!   After my bizness was done, (and wishing I had sanitizer on me..) we just walked around looking at all the cute animals, listening to the band and just wandering around. 

It was actually really windy and you could tell the cool front was coming through.  I actually had goosebumps!


Anyway, here are some adorable doggies....  I didn't come home with any either, but Chris totally needs to get busy fencing our yard in.  I'm ready to adopt another furbaby again!













The race started at 1:45 and we all lined up and headed out.  I'd say there was about 50 runners and  walkers.  I thought for sure that I wouldn't be last with the walkers. 

I was really hoping to PR this time around with a sub 42 minute 5K.  The race started out well enough and I felt my pace was good and that I was going to be below 14:30mm which was what I was aiming for.   But then my shoelace un-tied so I had to pull off to the side and take care of it.  Back at the race, all the runners were getting further and further ahead.   I was really worried about the path that we were running, also.  It wasn't too clearly marked but once I got to each of the turns, the police cars were blocking the traffic, so it was fairly easy to figure out.  Turns out I was worried for nothing about that.   Most of the cops that I passed, looked like they would rather be just about anywhere but there but 2 of them, actually spoke up and gave me some kudos!  It really helped me push forward, just that little bit of motivation

I actually passed about 6 of the walkers but at the cut-off that lead to the turn around point, instead of going up that way, each of the about 6 walkers that were back with me, turned around and forgo'ed that little leg.  So, needless to say, they skipped out on about .75 of a mile and still managed to finish ahead of me.    Ah well,  I finished at least!  And then of course, with me actually and physically being last, I had to endure this for the rest of the race:

At least now I can say that I've actually had an opportunity to run from the po po.

I kept pressing on and finally rounded our State Capital and got back to 4th street, which was the stretch to the finish line.  After I finished passing each cop as they blocked traffic, they got in their car and left.  In the back of my mind, I kept freaking out, "omg they are waiting on me, I need to hurry.."  Each block that I ran past, I kept looking for Chris.  Once I finally got within eyesight of him, my pace definitely picked up a bit.  Nearing the final little stretch, one of the other runners ran out and told me that I should be so proud that I ran the whole thing!  I was and I said something back but I really wish that I would have understood what I was saying and that I would love to be able to tell her just how much that meant to me that she did that.  At this same time that I was trying to focus on finishing with her, all the spectators clapped!  It was quite a surreal moment but by that time Chris came up to me and said how proud he was of me.  Everything all happened in a blur at the end.  After I got my water, Chris and I walked around for a bit and had to find the porta potty again (dang water).  I was really wanting to find that lady and tell her thank you.  I hope I can connect with her.  I just posted this pic that Chris took of us at the finish on the facebook page for the walk.  I'm hoping someone will recognize her!






So the race ended up being a whole lot of fun.  I will definitely do it again next year and especially since it's for such a good cause, a local animal rescue!

The route wasn't quite a full 5K and I'm a little bummed about that because I really wanted to see if I could hit my sub 42 minute goal.  Oh well, there is always next time!  And by the way, I've definitely caught the running bug again!  Now time to plan my next race and I want to start training for distance/speed next!  At this point, I think I want to train for a 10K. 

The good news, was that my average pace was what I was hoping for!  Can't ask for more than that!

October Exercise Minutes - 424/1600




49 comments:

  1. Desiree, that is awesome, way to go!!!! :) :)

    And i am still just amazed at the small world we live in! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on hitting your pace goal AND for sticking with it! Little races can be scary, it's hard to know if the slowest person will be running 10 minute miles or 30 minute miles (at least around here it seems to vary between those two extremes). Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April, yea, of course before the race, I thought about chickening out about 100 times, but I kept saying to myself that I have come in last before. If it happened again, then it's not like it was a new experience or anything! LOL

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Finishing a 5K is a huge deal and you should be proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl!! My husband and I did our second 5k yesterday and beat our first 5k time and were so excited! We aren't to the point of running the whole thing but hey, baby steps. Congrats again on finishing...you did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you and your hubby! That's awesome! And thank you!

      Delete
  5. Yay, good job finishing the 5k and love all the doggies. Don't think about coming in last because you didn't! You finished far above and ahead of all of us who didn't go and all of us people who are too scared to try any such 5k yet :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did great! Last or not, you FINISHED it. That's the key.

    Those dog pics are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that you ran a 5K....I am in awe! It doesn't matter to me what your time was, or if you finished first or last....just that you DID IT! :)

    My favorite part about your post: "one of the other runners ran out and told me that I should be so proud that I ran the whole thing! I would love to be able to tell her just how much that meant to me that she did that." You just NEVER know what some little thing may mean to someone else. Fantastic.

    Thanks for telling us about your experiences!

    Love, Joy
    Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I'm really trying to find her to tell her thank you! I posted on a local Louisiana runners group's page. Hope it pans out!

      Delete
  8. Hey, girl, great work! I can't run a whole 5K, and you did and finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WAY TO GO! This is so fantastic, and how great it is for you to have shared your experience and had such a positive one, even if your worst fear came true. One of the things I love about running is how supportive everyone is, and it brings tears to my eyes hearing about how everyone supported you throughout your race. That's the way it's supposed to be! So I'm glad you had a great experience with it, and I hope you keep it up. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! It really was a special one. The running community is just so amazing!

      Delete
  10. Great job you did it and you finished so proud of you. Loving the costumes on the dogs so cute

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I seen this picture on FB I laughed so hard-- what a great picture! It doesn't matter what position you came in-- at least you finished! That's a win all in its self!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job, Des! I love the picture of you and the cop car. And, how nice of that person to come run with you at the end?? That's awesome! Keep it up, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow, Desiree! Awesome story. It doesn't matter that you came last, all that matters is that you finished and didn't give up. Congratulations!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so impressed that you did the Fun Run. You certainly would have beat me had I been there! I love the dog costumes, my dog hates being dressed up so I only do it a few times a year just for the photo op and then it's off again. She's going to be a cheerleader for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! I bet your doggie is going to be the cutest cheerleader for Halloween!

      Delete
  15. Those walkers cheated! Great job on finishing the whole thing...love the cause and I love that someone joined you for the finish line! So encouraging...that's what the running community is all about to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! Just came across your blog from Runs for Cookies. Heck, I'm still trying to get over the fear of running a race by myself. My husband won't even go with me (back problems). Really, I need to get over that fear! You did great, and I agree with another poster, the walkers cheated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tiffany! I had that fear too at first, but I think I just came to the conclusion that if I waited around for someone to do it with me, I would never do it. Gotta do it for myself! And if friends and family want to join along, that's great too!

      Delete
    2. The cop picture cracked me up!! That is so awesome that you kept going and finished!! I have to agree with what someone else said, I have a fear of going alone, but you are so right about never doing it if we wait on others.

      Delete
  17. Desiree, first of all that cop picture is priceless. Secondly, I want to take ALL of those dogs home. And thirdly, WTF with the people cutting the course? That's cheating and also a waste of money! So proud of you for sticking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Desiree, The picture with the cop car is priceless, I love it!! And WTF with the people cutting the course? Not only is it cheating, but they are wasting their race fee. I think you should be damn proud of completing the WHOLE course, no matter how long it took!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, I am pretty proud of myself. I think I was on track for a PR too! Onto the next one I suppose!

      Delete
  19. Great job! You did great...you ran the whole thing, got a PR and didn't cheat. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats! That is so fantastic that you finished it. So many people might have given up (although wow was that a speedy group! Your time was great to be last!) and yet you stuck it out. It sounds like a wonderful group around you too. I love the picture of you with the cop behind you! Priceless! -Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it was, I was by far the biggest person there so I knew I was in for it! LOL

      Delete
  21. Way to go!5k or not you rocked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! I think you did an amazing job, and I love that you have such a great attitude about the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the 5K!! I love the comment about the po-po :) You should definitely do a 10K-- I actually just did my first one (I never raced a 10K before my half marathon), and I think it's a really great distance. It's definitely a challenge, but it's also definitely reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I think I will dust off that B210K app that I have in a few weeks. I'd like to run 5Ks a bit more regularly than I do now, then I'll jump right into B210K

      Delete
  24. Congrats on the 5K!! And I love your comment about the po-po :)

    I think you definitely should do a 10K next! I actually just did my first 10K two weeks ago, and it was a blast! It's a good challenging distance, but definitely a do-able goal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! Yea, I think I will look into progressing! 10K does sound do-able!

      Delete