Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Thanksgiving PR for 5K

In the midst of all the Thanksgiving food and fun, I actually PR'ed this morning!

I woke up this morning about the same time I usually get up and ready for work.  I made a quick blog post earlier then headed out to my mom and dad's.  The plan was to get there, and get my run in early before I needed to get busy baking and helping my dad with the Turkey birds and then we would eat around noon-ish.

This was the temp when I got into my car this morning.


And this is the view that I had across from my house before I left.  Frost everywhere!


After I got to my parents house, I grabbed my knit hat and gloves and then headed out.  The run started out as they usually do with me questioning if I could even make a mile.  Usually once I do hit that mile mark, then I'm good to go.  That was the case here today too.  At first I was just thinking since it was so cold that I would just do one mile and then determine how I felt and if I wanted to push a full 5K.  Once I got going, I felt fine.  The only thing cold was my face and even that wasn't quite as bad after a few minutes. 

My splits were actually pretty decent for me.  The 2nd mile was a bit slower, I think I was running into the wind or maybe it just felt more windy.  Not sure but it there was less houses around so I guess it would make sense if the wind was whipping a bit more.




My parent's neighborhood is fairly big, in fact, it was just shy of a full 5K.  The last little leg, I had to go a bit further than where their house is and loop back, but I did end up with the full 3.10 miles.  All in all, I didn't see a single soul running until the very end, I saw a couple of walkers (the non-zombie kind) out and about.  I ran the entire thing without my earbuds in too, since I wanted to make sure I could listen for oncoming cars and potential dogs. 

All in all, it was a fantastic run.  Not sure if I was faster because of the cold or what, but if that's the case, I'd MUCH rather run like that then in the heat any day!  Chris did a great job on buying my new cold weather running gear too.  It worked perfectly for me this morning!

And of course, so glad I got the run in and I felt a lot less guilty eating today!

Here's a couple of shots of the 2 things I baked (Corn Casserole and Sweet Potato Crunch) and then the fried turkeys that we made.  I forgot to snap pics during the day of the rest.  It was a wonderful day filled with food and family! 



12 comments:

  1. Wow the food looks yummy! Kudos to you for the run :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic about your run, well done!

    And that food looks soooo scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Potato Crunch!!!! You're only the second person I've EVER met that call it that! It's a staple at our Thanksgiving and Christmas meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Awesome! Yea, that's just always what we called it! It was sooo yummy too!

      Delete
  4. Great job on the PR! Sounds like an awesome day!

    I had to figure out what to wear for my race yesterday because it was my first ever really cold run (30* and 15 mph winds which made it feel like low 20s)! I ended up going with compression capris w/ my calf sleeves (so my legs were completely covered other than a small portion of my ankles), a tech tshirt, and an Under Armour pullover I have that covers up my neck. I also wore my UA gloves and a headband that covers my ears. I was freezing while I was warming up for the race but once we got about 1/2 - 1 mile in I felt fine and was even hot when I finished the race! Good practice I guess because it's only going to get colder around here! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez I can't even imagine! Great job with your race too! I guess the whole layering thing needs to be trial and error sort of thing.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your PR!! The cold helps me run faster too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, it's weird but I'll take it! I love the cold! Of course, now today it's back to short sleeved shirts and flip flops. Stupid Louisiana!

      Delete
  6. Good job! I'm starting to get used to running without the music too, helps with my pace I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I enjoyed the change of pace and I was worried that I would get bored without the music, but I did ok I think!

      Delete