Saturday, November 30, 2013

Running Streaks and Tennis

I've actually had a small streak going with running that I have been debating on posting about or not.  For one, I'm not sure if I can keep it up.  Since I've been running (and truthfully, not at all regularly) in the last year, I've had a love/hate relationship with it.   I think the "hate" part can be linked directly to the Louisiana heat and my boring neighborhood.  But here lately the weather has been more pleasant and I've actually found a park nearby that I love to run in and I feel safe doing so. 

I found an article the other day that someone linked on Facebook about a Holiday Running Streak that takes place between Thanksgiving and New Years.  (I don't remember who, but if it was you...thank you!) and it intrigued me.  Never in my history of running, have I ran on back to back days before so I was a little apprehensive to start (and still am...) but so far so good.  My legs are a little tired today but that could be attributed to us having an hour and a half long tennis lesson too.


So as of right now my game plan is this (and since I don't know how my body will handle this, I do not want to go crazy with the miles, plus there is a new thing on the horizon this week that I will discuss in a second.)

Sunday - 2 miles
Monday - 1 mile
Tuesday - 1.5 miles
Wednesday - 3 miles
Thursday - 1.5 miles
Friday - 1 mile
Saturday - 3 or 4 miles
Sunday 1 mile

Do you ever look at a word and swear that it looks like it's spelled wrong or is it just me?  I'm sitting here staring at the word "mile" that I just typed out and it looks off.  Hmm.  Anyway..

I'm not sure that I will stick with this.  But as of today I'm on day 3.  Worst case scenario is that I do this for a bit of time and if it helps lose weight, well that's not the worst thing in the world, right?!  I could use the hopeful bump in the weight loss anyway.  So tired of seeing these same numbers!

So the other thing that I mentioned earlier was that we got talked into a tennis tournament for next weekend.  I. Am. Scared. To. Death of playing in real life.  I don't really understand the scoring enough to keep it up.  I've watched enough tennis to sorta know how it goes.  Realistically Chris and I have only goofed off from time to time and also rented the ball machine.  We've never done a proper match, plus, well, bottom line is that we aren't very good.  Ronnie (our instructor and the head of the Tennis Department at our local Y), is going to find a team of beginners to put us with.  I am competitive to a fault sometimes.  I don't like to lose and I know that I'm not ready to face other people.  I get mad at myself when I mess up as it is now!  Ugh, so yes, I'm scared shitless about this coming weekend.  Chris and I are going back and practicing tomorrow and probably a couple more times this week in the evenings.  We need it.

We did have a good clinic this morning.  We worked on volleys and doubles positioning pretty much the whole time.  And we were The Justice League.






Doyle has been super cute today since we got back from Tennis lessons.  Here he is sitting next to me being sleepy.





Have you ever done a running streak or a streak of any kind (not talking the birthday suit kind either hehe)?  How did it go?  Do you recommend doing it?

14 comments:

  1. Way to go! I am timid to commit to a daily mile simply because of my schedule.
    Tennis would be a blast as an adult, I played in high school and miss it. Ironically I quit the team because coach kt making us run!! Haha. I hated running and here I am tempted into a half marathon in 2014?!??

    You guys can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yea, I'm TOTALLY loving the tennis! You should think about picking it back up again!

      I've also decided to not do the streak. At least until my P.F. has completely healed up and maybe I'll revisit it again when I'm closer to my goal weight.

      Delete
  2. No running streak, but I have played tennis my whole life- and I can tell you- Tennis is NOT the sport to get super competitive for me. lol I was from day one when I had zero skills as a 10 year old.which made me worse. Then when I got great at tennis, any sort of mental interruption like wanting to win and getting frustrated- caused great skill messups. lol Just have fun and try- do not focus on winning. It will feel better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yea I can see me really being hard on myself. I just need to take a step back and really until I do gain some mad skillz, that I need to just enjoy playing and have fun.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the running streak and tennis match! I think you'll do great in both! Even if you only run 1 mile a day, that's still a streak! :D My body hates me so there is no way I'd attempt a streak. I need those all important "off" days where I do strength training or something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the tennis match! If your goals don't scare you, they're not big enough, right?!?! You've got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came back to check and my comment didnt post....why does your blog hate me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came back to check and my comment didnt post....why does your blog hate me? BTW this is my 3rd attempt at this comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waahh I'm not sure, these are the only 2 that came through. I have it set so that I approve them first before publishing.

      Delete
  7. I was intrigued by the running streak too, but it said you should be a regular runner for at least 6 months, and that's not me (yet). So instead, I committed to a holiday fitness streak. I plan on running 3 days per week, but on the days I don't run I want to earn at least 4 Weight Watchers Activity Points. So, I need to walk for 40 minutes, do a session of a fitness DVD, or maybe an hour of yoga.

    (Thought I'd stop by and check out your blog - thanks for commenting on mine!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! A fitness streak is definitely a better idea I think!

      Delete