Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Fresh Start

Maybe the streak-fail on My Fitness Pal happened for a reason. 

I've been thinking about it a lot lately anyway.  The scale hasn't really moved in a long time and I know that bad habits have started creeping back in, not to mention with the holidays and the whole shebang there.  So I figured that I would give myself a last "hurrah" of sorts on Christmas but back at it 100% starting today.  I'm paying for that last hurrah today too, in that I have an awful tummy ache.  Too much bad food, alcohol and then top it all off with Chinese food at 8pm last night.  Blerg.

I have 6 weeks and 1 day now until Comic Con.  In those 6 weeks I'm gonna focus on really getting back on track and also introducing some new things into the mix.  I want to shake things up a bit and hopefully hit my 60 pound loss mark by then.

In my post-Christmas, alcohol-fueled, Chinese food frenzy, I weighed in this morning at 195.  Yep.  I said 195.  There is no typo.  I'm owning up to it.  I have gained 7 pounds since Thanksgiving.   Now, at least 2 pounds of it is hopefully sodium and 2 margaritas and 2 Stella Artois's worth of padding.  But even still it's bad enough.

So no more!

Here's my plan of attack.  But first, the good, the bad and the ugly according to my Orthopedic Doctor and the Physical Therapist.   The good - I can use the elliptical til my heart is content.  The bad - no more running - or walking as exercise.  The ugly - no more tennis.   (At least, until I can get properly fitted and assessed for new shoes for both running and tennis).  I almost ugly cried about the tennis part.  And since Christmas was, um, a bit overboard, I may have to wait a bit until I can get new shoes.  So until then, the elliptical will be my bff.

The Plan:
  • Stretch - every damn day.  I have to do those P.T. approved stretches for my feet.  While at work and sitting at my desk, I can use a tennis ball to roll around, sort of like a foam roller but for Plantar Facitiis. 
  • I'm actually doing this as I type! While wearing #11 socks
  • Elliptical 5x per week at least.  I'm actually toying with the idea of doing a streak but not sure.  I might.  I dunno.  Instead of running, or at least until I get cleared to run, I was thinking of trying to do a run/walk/elliptical sort of thing.  But then I crave my Sunday pajama days.  
  • Log my food!  I can honestly say without hesitation that around the time I stopped logging everything, I fell back into not caring what I put in my body.  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!  I think even when (if) I ever get to goal and am on maintenance that I have to do this.  There is no way around it. 
  • Water, water water.  If you ever see me in the next few weeks, chances are I'll be heading to the bathroom.  I've seriously dropped the ball with my water and I think that's also hurting me with eating more than I should.  The more water I drink the more full I feel and then I don't think I eat as much.  So, water will also be my other BFF.
  • Start to introduce other stuff into the mix.  I got up this morning and dusted off (quite literally) a yoga dvd and did that for about 20 minutes this morning.  I also *tried* to plank for the first time ever. 
    I'm pretty sure 11 seconds is like the worst time ever.
    Speaking of yoga.  I'm not all that impressed with this dvd.  Lots of yacking and not as much stretching.  Can anyone recommend a really good dvd for yoga dummies beginners?
 Alrighty, so I think I have a good plan in place.  Now to get off my lazy butt and get it done!


Oz is ready for TWD to return.  The Box says, Don't open.  Cat inside.  Or for you TWD fans, "Don't cat. Open inside."

10 comments:

  1. Ahh i am still pulled from everything but biking but more for the tibial ankle business. I have had a terrible month too. Here is to getting it back together - together!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Sorry about not being able to do anything except bike though! But at least you can do that!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a GREAT plan! I'm working on my next plan too. I've been terrible since Thanksgiving and I'm so ready for holiday parties to finally be done.

    I'm sorry you're unable to run or play tennis right now. But, it's better to be safe than sorry, right? Keep on top of your PT and you'll be back to it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yep, sucks big time. But the common denominator in all of this has been my new(est) pair of shoes, and also the tennis shoes I think. Hoping once we get the P.F. under control and I get some new kicks that maybe I won't have to go through this ever again! It's been misery!!!

      We can do this!

      Delete
  3. I'm inspired to start kicking ass again too! However, I'm going to start on the 1st. I have to do it like that, or it won't work out. I'm going to sit down and make a plan. Work out a workout schedule, get my Fit Bit all squared away, dust off the MyFitnessPal (I haven't logged food in forever...just weights, and those have been too depressing to bother with). You can do this. You are a maniac. Follow dr's orders...you'll be glad you did. I'm so big, I can't do the walking all the time either as I have stress fractures in my feet. Elliptical is awesome! Good job seeing the problem and nipping it in the bud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thanks Dina. I have a feeling that 2014 will be our year! Work on that plan of attack and put it in place. We can do this!

      Delete
  4. Speaking of an elliptical streak, do you watch Modern Family? If you do, then you know what I'm talking about. ;)

    That's too bad about tennis, but hopefully it won't be for too long! I think you've got a good plan in place.

    Planks are SO much harder than it seems they should be. Don't worry if that's your starting point...it's just something to beat the next time you do it! And I don't know about DVDs, but I absolutely recommend an app called "Yoga Studio". I don't know what phones, etc that you have, but I use it on my iPad and then stream it to my Apple TV so I can have it on the regular TV and it's bigger and easier to follow. But in a pinch you can have it on an iPhone or iPad. Not sure if there is one compatible for Droid if that's what you've got. The app has pre-made routines for specific things like flexibility or strength in different times (15 min, 30 min, etc) but you can also take the exercises from their databank and it will create a custom routine for you with all the moves. It's very peaceful too and since it's kind of CGI-ish (the lady looks like a robot) the person doesn't yak a lot and it plays quiet music. Check it out if you're able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO yes! We do watch Modern Family but I am not planning to elliptical to Canada! ;)

      Yea, planks are definitely deceiving like that.

      Oh I'll definitely check that out. I have a droid Samsung Galaxy 3. (Ok just checked and it's not available in our app store, but I did find one called Daily Yoga that I will check out.

      Delete