Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Meg's Miles and a Enterprise Virutal 5K

I came across a couple of things today on Facebook that I thought I'd share with you guys.  

Meg Cross Menzies was tragically killed by a drunk driver while out for her morning run on January 13, 2014. As an avid runner, member of the Richmond Road Runners Club, and Boston marathoner, she was a member of the running family nationwide. In her honor, our hope is to raise awareness of drunk driving, texting and driving, and overall safety of runners and cyclists everywhere.

This Saturday, January 18, 2014, no matter what your distance, no matter where you live, run for Meg. Take in the fresh air, be aware of your surroundings, keep your headphones on low, feel the heaviness in your lungs, the soreness in your legs, and be grateful for it--for all of it. The sweat, the pain, the wind, the cold…everything. Be grateful for that moment.

Feel free to post pictures of yourself pre-run or post-run, post your distance, post your thoughts, prayers, condolences with the hashtag #megsmiles. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook. Let all runners unite together and remember the loss of a beautiful spirit. It's not a coincidence the hashtag reads either "Meg's Miles" or "Meg Smiles." She will be smiling on all of us forevermore.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

And this:

Enterprise 5K and 10K Virtual Run

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drunk Driving victims are near and dear to my heart.  My grandfather was tragically killed in 1997 by a drunk driver while driving back home to Louisiana after visiting my Uncle and his family in Florida.   So I may not be able to run this, but I will definitely do something for Meg on Saturday.  

Please feel free to pass Meg's Miles event along.  Here's the link to it. 

And the Enterprise thing.  That's just nice bling. The neat part of this virtual run is that you just have to boldly go run or walk where you have never run or walk before.  (see what I did there?)   :)  (Although I will admit that I'm not a huge Trekkie, that title goes to Mr. SkinnyGeek.  - I will neither confirm nor deny the presence of a Captain Kirk uniform shirt that hangs on HIS side of the closet...).  I'm more of a Star Wars girl, although I do enjoy the new reboot.  And yea. ok I did like ST:TNG too.  

9 comments:

  1. I saw that on Instagram today. So sad, but it's so nice to see how many people are on board to honor her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awful. :( And sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'll definitely be joining in on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It broke my heart when I read that. I will be running a 5K race that day and thinking of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I going to run that 5K on Saturday, no excuses. Thanks for posting this.

    What an awesome trekkie run! How do you find these virtual races!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Shannon! Glad you'll be joining in.

      I dunno, I think I'm in so many nerdy type groups that I just come across them somehow! LOL

      Delete
  5. Love the Enterprise Virtual run! I'm also married to a trekkie, so I'll see if I can get him on board.

    ReplyDelete