Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Orthopedic Doctor Appointment follow-up and Snow/icepocolypse Part 2

Morning everyone!

I had a follow up appointment yesterday.  Not too much to tell other than he wants me to finish Physical Therapy and look into some new shoes.  I can start back slowly with tennis and running but I'm going to wait a bit longer until after I can actually get some new shoes for both.  And of course, that's not gonna happen until after NOLA comic con!   (Priorities!)  ;)


We had another Sneaux Day today.  We are supposed to be getting "significant amount" (according to the weatherman) of snow and ice again today and then its possible that it will re-freeze tomorrow.  That's really, REALLY unusual for us down here.  And as how bad as things got with the ice on Friday, I'm just a little freaked out about this.  I can weather tropical storms and hurricanes like nobody's business, but this has me worried!  The good news, is that Chris and I both have off today.  Devyn likely won't have to work either especially if they shut everything down like they are planning.  We have enough groceries to get by should we get stuck indoors for a few days.  I'm also worried about power outages.  We just aren't equipped for all this stuff.  We prepped as best as we could and used our hurricane prep guidelines (gas cars up, plenty of non-perishables) and also covered our pipes outside, and then covered them again with a towel too. 

All you ice and snow pros, any advice for us Southerners?  

I did manage a quick walk this am and got it over with.  I didn't even bother with the gym.  I wasn't even sure if they were open or not yet.  I think they've pretty much closed our entire city down.  I got a little bit of sleet in the face and I'm finally thawing out now with a nice cup of coffee.   (And I finally got to wear my monster hat!)


If you follow me on Instagram be prepared to see loads of wintery weather pics for which I apologize in advance for!  This just never happens down here!  And just like typical Louisiana weather, if you don't like what you are getting, just wait a few hours.  We are supposed to be down to 18 tonight but having a high of 70 on Saturday!  Cray!!!

24 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a good start. A few other tips I can recommend would be to make sure you've got ways to block off the cracks under your doors and such because the cold will just ooze in and you'll be wondering why your house is so cold! If you bake something in your oven, once you're done and the oven is off, open the oven a crack and let all that glorious heat warm up your kitchen/house. Bundle up under lots of blankets. I know you're worried (I can't imagine having to prep for a hurricane) but you'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh excellent tips! We did use the towel method and it did help I think! We survived! Its' 70º here today now. /sigh

      Delete
  2. I Love that you have Dr orders to get new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are healing up. I am in South GA now and snow has not been seen in this little town in almost 20 years. They are all freaking out. It's funny to me. But I am NOT wanting any snow.
    My advise, stay home. You are not prepared, nor is DOT. People can't drive in the rain, they sure can't drive in snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! We stayed indoors all 3 days and glad that we did. How did you guys fare?

      Delete
  4. As long as the weather is WARM AND SUNNY in March, you get all the sleet you can handle right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proper fitting shoes make a word of difference! Especially if you have foot issues. My boss is a foot and ankle sports medicine Dr. and was able to fit me for my new shoes. Brooks Adrenalines. They are like walking on clouds, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I've had my gait established and all before, so I'm definitely going to do that again!

      Delete
  6. Hurry up Spring! Please also share you shoe shop when you buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It still blows my mind how it affects you guys down south. Our warehouse is in GA and they ACTUALLY shut down yesterday afternoon and FedEx and UPS stopped pick-ups around 2:30 or so. That never happens.

    I think you've actually prepped pretty well. No extra advice on top of that other than stay off the roads, which it seems like you plan on doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is crazy! But I think we just aren't equipped like yall are too. Plus we drive insane down here so you can imagine, throwing ice into the mix would mean disaster.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, that is so crazy! You probably already know this, but I would leave a drip of water running in your sinks and showers. You can never be too safe!! :) It is SO cold up here right now that the entire city of Indianapolis shut down yesterday and had delays today, I think. Of course my butt is at work, as usual...we barely close for anything! Hope you're staying safe and warm, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you feel warmer and hotter soon :).
    Its crazy this weather out in the States!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That weather is so insane. Hope it warms up for you quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in Michigan and it's been in the negative temperatures for over a week now. Of course, over the weekend is was 23 degrees and that felt like a heat wave (seriously!) Driving in the snow is fine. Make sure you give yourself enough time to stop. Don't slam on the breaks, gently pump them. Give your car some time to warm up before you drive it. Also, ALWAYS keep an emergency kit in the car just in case. Keep a blanket in the trunk and cables for jumping it. As for the cold, lots of layers. And definitely pile on the blankets at night. At night, here in Michigan, the temperatures have been below -10 degrees and that's without factoring in the wind chill. Good luck and stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate the cold! I'm the worst Utahn ever! My advice for snow and ice is to buy a treadmill, rent lots of movies, and stock up on sugar free hot chocolate:)

    ReplyDelete