Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Wizard World Comic Con Day 2

Ok so I'm procrastinating now.  Thought I'd try to hurry and get another post up before the laundry finishes (but I still have a ton to fold and hang, so that will just have to wait a few more minutes!)

Saturday our alarm went off at 4:30am.  Our friends Norris, Adelle and their kids, and then John and his brother were coming to our house to meet up and head out by around 6 (hopefully) for the drive back to NOLA.   Chris and I got up and started getting ready.  We hurried up and made some scrambled eggs and bacon (completely forgetting that the whole reason we were getting such an early start was to go to Cafe Du Monde for some beignets).  Ah well, we ate our eggs and drank our coffee and then it finally dawned on us.  DUH.  No thinking before coffee, I tell ya.  Anyway, looking back on it, I'm glad we did eat those eggs (more on that in a bit).  We finally got on the road after everyone arrived and we made a quick gas stop.  We got to Jackson Brewery I think around 8:30 or so and walked over to Cafe Du Monde. 

A blog post is incomplete without an obligatory pic of said beignets


We walked back to our cars and then headed to the con.  A friend of ours, Eden was meeting us there too so we finally made connections and it was time to get into the con!

Saturday was PACKED.  I think everyone in Louisiana decided that was the day to go!  We had a long day ahead of us and had a few things earmarked that we had to do this day (Namely Alan Tudyk's and Matt Smith's panel, and the Costume Contest).  I'm also glad we had time to look around Friday because the vendors were packed! 

We knew we'd be standing in a lot of lines this day so around lunch, we were still full from eggs and beignets but also knew that we had a small window of opportunity to eat.  At this point our whole group had managed to split up so it was just Eden and I walking around.  We went and found Chris and decided to check out the Food Court.  Nothing sounded good so we decided to go to Subway a few blocks up. Apparently everyone and their mama had that same idea.   And by the time we needed and wanted food, it was time to line up for Alan Tudyk.  Blerg.  No food for us.  Because from this point on it was constant lines although I did manage to score a snickers bar out of a vending machine. 


After Alan Tudyk's panel, it was time to get in line for the Matt Smith photo op.  Yes, you read that right!!!  Norris and Adelle ended up with an extra one since they discovered the kids can get in the photo with them! (they had originally bought  2 photo ops).  We gave them all the photo op money so we were able to get a pic with #11!  I think we stood in line for about an hour to get this.  Chris had originally wanted to stand back and roll his eyes if we could get Matt Smith to hug me, but they were rushing us through the line so fast that there was no time to even really pose.  Ah well.

HIS ELBOW TOUCHED MY BOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After the photo, we walked around a bit more and decided to go get a cab and go check into our hotel room.  What happened next was the 2 most scariest cab rides ever.  Chris is a terrible passenger anyway and I think he white knuckled it the 3 miles to get to the hotel.  And then coming back to the con was another cab ride from hell.  This was Chris's first cab ride ever and will likely be the last LOL. 

Disclaimer here... In no way would we have EVER been able to afford this place, but 6 years ago Chris volunteered to work though Hurricane Ike to keep his company's computer systems running with a few other people.  The CEO of the company gave each of them significant gift cards to the Ritz Carlton.  We just kinda set the card aside and forgot about it thinking there would be no way that we'd ever use it.  When we decided that we would plan to stay in New Orleans, we remembered about the card.  I thought that there was no way that it would even still be valid after all this time, but we called, and it was!   Could not believe it!   So for once, the Skinny Geeks lived in the lap of luxury and boy did we feel out of place.  The most popular member of our group was our Yoda backpack though. I think we got more comments on it even at the Ritz than ever.  (At the con too, had a ton of people stop us and say they loved it.. which is weird because Yoda has attended every other convention with us.. )  There was one lady who asked me, if I knew I had a green monkey on my back.  UGH!  Rich people  (just kidding if you are rich...) .  Ok tangent over.

Anyway, we successfully checked in and wanted to check our room out before heading back.  Here's a few pics:

Chris and the most popular Yoda

The most comfortable bed. Ever.  And pillows.






We needed to get back to the convention because it was getting close to time to start lining up for Matt Smith's Panel that started at 6:15.  I figured we'd need at least 2 hours, but all the time we spent in the hotel, we ended up getting back around 4:45.  Chris and I immediately got in line and this is what we saw. 


A zillion people ahead of us wrapped around the end of the convention center.  We hurried and texted Norris to come and get in line.  Chris googled to see what the capacity of the theater was and he found that it holds 4,000 people.  Judging by the amount of people that were head of us, we were sweating it getting in.  They finally opened the doors, and I'm not even exaggerating when I think that they had at least 3,980 in there.   Everyone in our party was able to get in and get seats so we were very relieved. 

M.S. came out and his panel was awesome!  He even did the giraffe dance!









He was so awesome!  Especially when the little kids asked him questions!

After his panel ended (much too soon!) we just stayed in the theater and waited for the Costume Contest to start.  They were also filming for the show Heroes of Cosplay so we had the unfortunate experience of seeing Yaya Han.  Oh well, even Yaya wasn't going to spoil my day.  We were beyond exhausted and hungry at this point and only stayed through the contestants and didn't even wait until the winners were announced. 

Here's a few pics from the contest:
















After we left, we got our car, and went to park at the hotel.  Then we decided to walk to find food.  We ended up at a very sketchy McDonald's on Canal St.  Not my favorite choice, but we were desperate, tired and hungry at this point.  We hurried got our food and went back to the hotel.  I hated eating McDonald's especially in the Ritz Carlton.  Very embarrassing! 

After food, we passed out in the most comfortable bed that ever existed.  It was like sleeping on a cloud.

Oh another great thing about the day, I met up with a few real life friends at the con too!

Eden, Chris and Me

Obi-Wan and me (RL friend Chris!)

TWINSIES!  Me and Susie!
  
Day 3 is next!

25 comments:

  1. Oh he is so good looking with hair that length and the scruff! I shouldn't read your blog at work - almost broke out in laughter from the "his elbow touched my boob" comment! Loooooove it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the scruff! He is also much skinnier than on the show! I guess what they say is right, that the camera adds 10 pounds! I know he is awfully skinny in tweed but he just seemed moreso IRL!

      Delete
  2. Oh My, I'm just so over-whelmed by how amazing this whole experience looks.

    And also I had to resist the urge to lick the computer screen because those beignets look amazing!!!!!!

    It looks like you had an absolute blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Lick away (at least I don't have to clean your screen! hehe) We did. So much fun.

      Delete
  3. Still SO jealous about Matt...and Alan too for that matter! Looks like a really nice hotel - now I want to see what their beds feel like. We're like you though - never affording a night there under normal circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh seeing some of your pictures makes me long to go visit New Orleans. I've only been once a while ago, but would love to go back. I'm so glad you guys had fun, and it definitely sounds like you got to see a lot. Bonus for staying at the Ritz...fancypants!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totes go! Tons of stuff to do for you, Aron and Ms. Chloe bear!

      Delete
  5. You got to see Matt Smith's panel...AND TAKE A PIC WITH HIM?!!?! Dang, that is so awesome! I'm so glad--!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So so so so excited! It was awesome.. I only wish we had more time with him

      Delete
  6. this does look like an amazing experience... I've had FB friends go to events like this and none have ever posted pics.. awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, too bad about that. I think at my last count, I had over 300 pics! Oof! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. My mother is watering at those beignets fromCafe Du Monde!!! Have fun at Comic Con :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering at those beignets from Cafe Du Monde. Enjoy Comic Con! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL yep your geekdom is showing! I know a ton of folks who try to go every year but can't get tickets. I had never even heard of comic con until I started watching the Big Bang. LOL
    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh this isn't the "BIG" Comic Con. That one is in San Diego. This one is getting to be a pretty big deal though. They do various cons across the country and (here lately) have been getting some pretty big stars!

      Delete
  10. Oh man, I almost died laughing at the "His elbow touched my boob" comment. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED all the pictures :) I especially loved how your photo with Dr. Who says his elbow touched your boob. Just made my day!! :) Thank you for sharing!

    http://neatly-packaged.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat convention. I didn't know this was happening so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! Yea, they do it every year! The dates for next will be Jan 9-11th!

      Delete
  13. So I don't know who most of these people are but I'll still fangirl with you.

    ReplyDelete