Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Wizard World New Orleans Comic Con 2014 Day 1

Oh gosh, this is going to be a massive post!  I think I will need to break them by each day. 

Each year, I wonder how they can top the year before, but every single year, they do!  We had so much fun this year.  I'm really glad we did the whole 3 day experience.  Saturday was CRAZY but I liked having the calm of Friday and Sunday to bookend the weekend.

Friday started out with me having to work half a day.  Once I got home, we did some last minute checks, ate some lunch and started out towards New Orleans.  We lucked out and had little traffic getting there.  (Usually if you know anything about NOLA, no matter what time of day you go, you WILL inevitably get int traffic once you hit the city).  We got there right around 3, which was when the Con opened.  This day was wonderful because it was so casual and not very crowded.  Chris and I spent more time just walking around, looking at vendors and the cosplayers.   Here are a few pics from Friday:





C. Thomas Howell

Robert Englund

Pam Grier

Manu Bennett

John Ratzenberger




Steven Yeun - Glen from TWD

Here I am getting teleported back to 1942 via Weeping Angel

Weeping Angel from Doctor Who episode "Blink"

From Doctor Who episode "Silence in the Library"

Borderlands 2

Glen and Daryl cosplay

An amazing Blade Cosplayer! He even had his teeth capped.  Talk about committment!

Dean Cain


I love this pic! 
About halfway through Friday night we started getting hungry.  I remembered that everyone and their brother recommends Mother's Restaurant, so we googled it to see how far it was from the Convention Center.  Turns out it was little more than a mile, and hey, I needed my streak to keep going, so we decided to go walk there! 










We were kinda overwhelmed at first but Chris ended up getting Red Beans and Rice and I ended up with Fried Catfish.  It was so good!  We knew we had to go back at some point.  We had heard good things about the Roast Beef PoBoy called the "Debris" there.  The next time we went on Sunday, we just ended up getting breakfast, so still no Debris!  Next time!

We opted not to stay the night on Friday, so instead we left around 7 to head home.  We knew we needed to make it an early start for Saturday.  We got home around 8:15 (no traffic again!  Wooo, sadly that will be the last time of no traffic..).

Oh side note here.  I wore my newest pair of tennis shoes on Friday.  After just the bit of walking we did that night, I've decided to retire my blue Ascics.  They cause me so much pain with my Plantar Faciitis.  I could barely walk by the time I got home.  The next day I put my older Purple ones on for the rest of the weekend, and barely no pain. So yea, those are getting donated.   I still have a little residual pain from Friday but not nearly as bad as it could have been I think. 

Ok wrapping this one up now.  Hoping to have the next one up in a few hours - I have a couple of errands and things to do around the house before I go back to work tomorrow.  Plus not to mention getting caught up with all my friends blogs! 

Now I will leave you with a cliffhanger... did we get to see Matt Smith?!?   (No spoiling if you follow me on Facebook or Instagram!)  :P

22 comments:

  1. Now I'm stalking your facebook to see the spoilers! :) Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I can't remember if I put any on my FTSGW fb page but they are ALL OVER my personal fb page LOL

      Delete
  2. YES!!! I can't wait to see what the rest of the weekend had in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH!!! I was showing my son pictures from the con this morning, not just yours but everyone's to see the costumes. My LittleOne ended up taking over the phone looking for the Daleks.

    Loved watching your pictures this weekend, I got to geek out vicariously through you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check Wizard World's website too, I think there are a lot more pics there too!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Such a fun filled place and looks like you had so much fun! Oh and that food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had fun! Good job walking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manu Bennett AND Dean Cain? I would have been in HEAVEN! Did you get to meet them?

    Also, my awesome will be uber-jealous you got to meet Robert Englund. That's on his bucket list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to speak to Manu or Robert Englund but I did say hi to Dean Cain!

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see day 2 and 3 updates! Good news about figuring out the sneaker situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I noticed your Comic Con post via KTJ's blog.
    Congrats on your loss! You look great!

    I'm losing for con and cosplay and finding my fit geek within!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joie! Yea, I'm hoping to lose to be able to cosplay a bit too..eventually! not there yet though! Best of luck to you on your journey!

      Delete
  9. Congrats, Des--you look SO great with that Tardis! You have come so far!! :)

    ReplyDelete