Sunday, March 23, 2014

Meal Prep and planning

After heeding so much good advice from Friday, Chris and I set out yesterday and came up a with a plan.  He's not quite as on board with this as I am but he will have some other options should he want his usual. 

So, I decided to take a lot of your suggestions and advice.  I'm working on trying to up my protein a bit and just eat a bit more cleaner, which, in all honestly, I have been needing to do anyway. 

After reading, searching, googling and pinteresting, I came up with a couple of new options to try.  (2 of these ideas came from Courtney at Don't blink. Just run. and Hilary at Getting Through Life: One Day (And One Mile) At A Time ).  From Hilary's post, I decided to try the Chicken Corn Chowder and from Courtney the Scrambled Egg Muffins

Here's my plan for dinner each night this week and leftovers for lunches:

What... You don't still have your Christmas Cards up?
In case you can't read my grubby handwriting it goes like this -

Saturday - Broiled Pork loin and Baked Potatoes (also threw in some Asparagus which was a major fail) - More on that in a bit..   We ended up with 4 meals of these left: 2 pieces of pork for Chris and one each for me.)



Sunday - Spaghetti (not nearly as healthy but we have company coming over so has to be in bulk), plus it will also help with Chris's leftovers).

Monday - because I have bowling, Chris is having a frozen individual pizza and I'm having a Bertolli's Chicken and Spinach skillet meal (1/2 bag)

Tuesday - I prepped some Lemon Chicken in the crock pot this morning for our lunch today but we will also have that for Tuesday nights meal.  I'm doing 6 chicken breasts worth so after lunch, we should still have 4 to go and minus another 2 for this dinner before Tennis Apprentice class.


Wednesday - Baked Tilapia with Panko Breadcrumbs  (will just make enough for this meal, that doesn't quite re-heat well).

Thursday - Baked Pork chops - we will probably just throw a little seasoning on these puppies and eat and go. 

Friday - we normally either go out to eat or order in. 

I just ate a Scrambled Egg Muffin and they came out great!  I think next time I will not put them in a cupcake paper though.  They stuck to the bottom of the paper.



So after looking all this and seeing how messy my kitchen is now, I think we may be alright on food this week so I may not need to do the Chicken Corn Chowder this time around.  But I do have the ingredients so I will definitely give it a try next week. 

This is how things ended up yesterday. 
That "If every day were like today..." is a cruel tease.

Oh and I really wasn't planning on buying any more beer for me but I saw these yesterday. 






Abita's Strawberry Harvest.  Nectar of the Gods.  It's seasonal so it's not like I can get it all the time.  Annnnnd since we did so well with tennis, I didn't feel the least bit guilty about drinking 2 last night.  I worked it in with the calories. 

After looking at what we have in the fridge now, plus after lunch and spaghetti tonight, I really think this will be a good week as far as meal prep goes.  I'm not saying I can do this all the time, but right now, it may be worth the effort to give it a whirl. 

Oh and the asparagus story.... so I bought it in a can and got this recipe from my friend, Kim.  To put a little olive oil in a skillet and then sautee the Asparagus.  Throw in a little lemon juice and after it finishes, sprinkle a little Parmesan. 

This happened...




Green mush

So let this be a lesson, buy that shit fresh from the veggie aisle and not from a can!!

I am sooooo not a cook. 


19 comments:

  1. I love the egg muffins, the trick is silicone cupcake cases, they minimise the clear up (because the muffins can often stick to the pan too). seriously you should give them a whirl. I may be slightly inlove with mine.

    Also your lemon chicken sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I definitely am going to see if I can find those. Cleaning those pans are a pain the the behind! The lemon chicken did come out really well!

      Delete
  2. Yeah if you cook something already cooked aka canned veggies you get mush it happens to tge best of us :-) Good luck on the meal planning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah recooking cooked veggies sucks aka canned veggies...except corn,corn will survive lol Good luck and great job on the meal plannning

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg If I had done asparagus I bet you it would have looked EXACTLY like that, lol! Great job this week with meal planning, I am super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great prep! When I made the egg muffins, I just sprayed the muffin pan with some cooking spray and they popped out super easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! I'll definitely do that next time. I just thought I'd save the cleaning by using the cupcake holders. Ah well. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  6. Ha I feel that way when I screw up a recipe. I think canned asparagus is only good if you're adding it to something. I love fresh asparagus and fresh green beans. Yum!
    nice job on the meal prep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, yep lesson learned there too with the Asparagus!

      Delete
  7. Great prep work, Des!!! It's going to be so helpful this week. :)

    I used to make egg cups every week, and I agree, you can't make them with paper cups. I actually bought some silicon muffin cups. Just spraying the tin works great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary! You are my inspiration with that! :D

      Yea, I thought I'd be smart and try to avoid having to clean the muffin pan. Ah well. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  8. Great job on all your prep! Good luck and keep to it!
    I've given up beer and am REALLY trying to lose my saddlebags. Keep on Desireee! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that's the key there.. Keeping up to it LOL

      Yea, I've slacked off ....ALOT with the alcohol this week. Only 2 Abitas on Saturday is a WIN in my opinion! Let's hope the scale reflects it!

      Delete
  9. What a great plan! My husband is a pasta nut, he goes into withdrawals if he goes more than 5 days pasta-free. We discovered Dreamfield pasta which is a low-glycemic pasta that you can get at the regular grocery store and it tastes like regular pasta, not funky like other heatlhy pasta. Just a suggestion if you want to improve spaghetti night!

    I loved the mini-egg muffins, I used a little olive oil spray but no muffin liners. I ate them so long on South Beach that I'm still a bit burnt out on them, so breakfasts for me are green smoothies for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I've not heard of that. May look online and see if I can find it sold anywhere around here. That's a very good suggestion. I've tried the whole grain stuff and BLAH!

      Green smoothies are good too :)

      Delete
  10. I do my asparagus (fresh!) in the oven, toss with olive oil and some kosher salt and just bake at 400 until tender. Most people add in lemon juice too, but I don't like the lemon flair to it.

    Way to go!!! Once you get used to the mass cleanup from meal prep, you will look back and say 'why didn't I do this sooner??' when you see how much time and stress it eliminates during the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm that's a good idea too. I may play around with the oven method as well but I'm definitely buying fresh next time!

      We will see what I can come up with for next week. Trying to figure out what to cook is going to be a problem!

      Delete