Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Weigh In Wednesday and tennis update

Good morning everyone!

I'm linking up again with Ash and Heather for Wednesday Weigh In!

Weigh In Wednesday

Time for today's weigh in.  So far I've had a good Monday thru today so we'll see how this goes.  Weekends kill me every single time and are my biggest downfall so I feel like I have to pay extra attention to Monday and Tuesday and getting back on track.  I'm really going to try this coming weekend to be good and by being good, I'm going to lay off the beer.  Because when I drink, I start grazing mindlessly.  And for the love of all that is holy, we need to stop buying potato chips too.  That's my weekend pattern it seems.  Beer, all the food and potato chips.

Sooo that being said time to get down to business.


I'm not even disappointed really.  I am down 0.4 this week but T.O.M. is knocking on the door and, well, see the above paragraph for all the poor choices I made.  It's a tiny loss but still a loss. 

Chris and I went to our first Tennis Apprentice class last night!   Sorry no pics, but it was the biggest class that we've attended thus far.  I'd say there was about 18 people there.  Ronnie separated everyone by experience and ended up putting me over on 2 courts with 3 other boys and Chris.  We warmed up for a bit and then Jeremiah (the other instructor who was overseeing our side of the courts) had us rotate and start working on specific shots: Serves, returns - backhand and forehand, lobs, overhead smashes.  No volleying though.  Chris and I both feel like our serves are our biggest weak spot at this point and we both felt like we had some improvement there. 

There is a problem playing with Y.A.M.'s (Young, Aggressive Male's) though.  And being that I'm a larger target than most.   They are so intent on showing off their power with the overhead smashes that I nearly got hit twice.  One guy even got nailed in the nuts and did the "falling on the ground, writhing in pain" thing.  That part was actually kind of funny.  So anyway, let this be a lesson boys, you are not Roger Federer.  You don't need to show off quite so much, especially if you are a newbie like most of us are.

The drills went on for about and hour and a half and then Ronnie had us divide off into teams and play to 2 games.  I ended up with another instructor (I didn't get his name) and we played against Chris and one of the other newer guys.  We won in 2 straight games!  I won a tennis!  heh

By the time we finished our baby match, Ronnie said to play the winner of the other court, which was the other instructor, Jeremiah and his partner who was new-ish but did play tennis back in High School (heck he looked like he was only a few years out of H.S.).  Wow, was I ever outmatched.  There was so much topspin-ing going on and crazy fast balls whirling by my head that I barely could even get my racquet out in time.  This time fate had other plans and all those near misses from earlier... yep, got beaned in the arm by what felt like a 60mph line drive.

That is exactly how I felt




Plus, I think I really hit the wall of exhaustion around this time too.  This  game was alot closer than the other one and we ended up being tied 2-2 but they did pull it out and ended up winning the match with a sudden death zinger that flew off my racquet.  Ahh well.  It was fun.  I was not even remotely matched up with the right level of people so I got a little experience playing with some really good opponents and do I ever need a lot of work!






Safe to say that tennis burns a TON of calories!  I even ate a bit more than I normally do and still managed to be on the negative with net. 

OH!  Another thing.  Because we signed up for this class, included in it was a year membership to the U.S.T.A.  I'm official and shit now!  And, our local USTA marketing person gave Chris and I a ton of really nice swag!





I am loving the tennis ball lunch carrier!  I brought it to work with me today!





How was your weigh in this week?  If you are local, next Tuesday night's Tennis is a "Bring your friend to tennis class".  Anyone want to join me? 

52 comments:

  1. GIRL A LOSS IS A LOSS!!!!!! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any loss is great!

    Weekends are also my downfall. I like the structure of the weekdays because it makes it easier to make a plan and stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kira, mine too for sure. I also don't get all my water in on the weekends. I know I need to work on that as well!

      Delete
  3. That's one thing I hate about playing tennis: I just want to volley the ball back and forth! For me, that's the fun part! Not the smashing and the topspin and the crap. I just want to have fun. I hope you hit the Y.A.M. in the nuts, that would have been sweet justice!!! You're awesome Desiree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time, but Overhead smashes are not my fortè. I'll leave those to Chris and may he can aim for the opposing go-nads next time. heh heh

      Delete
  4. Great loss! And how awesome is that tennis thing?? I would look like a crazy person if I even tried to play tennis--way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine! We are having so much fun with it. I think I've found my "thing"! :D

      Delete
  5. Emmy @ A Mother to LoveMarch 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

    Every loss counts!! I know what you mean about the alcohol. For me it's margaritas... no control once I start :) The tennis class sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmy! Yea, I think for the time being, I just need to cut them out. :( Wahh, hurts my heart but I think I really need to until I can get thru this plateau.

      Delete
  6. Good job on your loss.
    And holy crap look at you Martina Navratalova. (Did I even come close to spelling that correctly?) I took one tennis lesson one time and it whupped my butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Meg! I think you came close! Haha! You should try it again! We are having so much fun with it!

      Delete
  7. A loss is a loss! I maintained this week and I am even happy with that! Also, super jealous of your swag! Love that lunch box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! Good job on maintaining! Yea, I'm really digging the lunch box too! I've used it every day since I got it!

      Delete
  8. Yes! A loss is a loss is a loss! Great job, friend. You are totally (literally and figuratively) back in the game! That tennis looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! Yep having so. much. fun.! Exercise shouldn't be fun but so glad it is!

      Delete
  9. Many blessings on your body in your weight loss journey.... may you see big losses in your near future. Very cute kitties btw. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Cindie! And for the kitty compliment! I think I'll keep 'em! ;)

      Delete
  10. I played tennis for one semester while in college and I loved it even though I was terrible!

    I'm down 4 lbs this week! I did a huge happy dance. It's been hard with marathon training though. I'm hungry all the freaking time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow fantastic loss there! And I bet you are with all that training! Wow! Kudos there! I've heard that it is really hard to lose while marathon training!

      Delete
  11. Atleast its a minus and not a plus! Good going and wohoo to your Calories burnt! You go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job this week, Des! I know what you mean about potato chips. I can't get them or they'll be gone way too soon. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary! Yep, I just need to not buy them at all.

      Delete
  13. Tennis sounds like it is going well for you and the hubs! :) Glad you both found something active you can enjoy together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I'm glad we did too. You have no idea how hard it is to get Chris to be active, so this is a blessing in disguise! He actually suggested that we go the other day! :D

      Delete
  14. Hahaha I have played tennis my whole life, minus the last three years living here in missouri. I remember winning all the time, and playing year round/ private lessons for varsity tennis, and right now I think I would be that picture but like on the ground. haha. " I forgot how to Tennis" + accident prone haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Aww, Ashely you need to come down here and give me some lessons, girl! (after you heal, of course!)

      Delete
  15. lol at the tennis photo! A loss is a loss girl! We all make poor choices sometimes. You're doing awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so bad at tennis but I love to play. I wish I was closer to you for yet another reason....so I could play tennis with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'd totally take you up on that too! The lessons are helping so much! Maybe you can look into them at some point?

      Delete
  17. Weekends are definitely my problem as well! I'm usually really good during the week - key word being usually.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Weekends are my problem too - my husband thinks that weekends mean snack all day with no real meals. That is what gets me in trouble!
    That class sounds like fun! And it is great you have someone doing it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash, yea my biggest fault is the weekends for sure!

      Delete
  19. I'm getting into tennis too. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad someone else in the blog world is! I love it so much!

      Delete
  20. Margaritas are my demon drink! I go to Mexican food restaurants w the intent of not finishing my glorious plate of food but after that margarita I finish my plate and then eat my kid's beans and rice and then order more tortillas to dip into the beans and scrape the remaining cheese. Oh em gee.. my troubles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, omg I do pretty good avoiding them because they are SO HIGH in calories. I could have 3 beers in the amount of calories that are in one margarita. Soooo yea, after I do drink all that, then yes, all the food is in my belly! Oy.

      Delete
  21. You're doing great and I'm sure the whole tennis "ball" thing was hysterical!
    I didn't loose any last week but didn't gain. This week I've bumped up the exercise to include lifting weights. oh my aching...
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww well no gain or loss is better than a gain! You are doing so great, Dawn! Keep up the good work! The ache will get easier!

      Delete
  22. That I Forgot How To Tennis pic is cracking me up!! LOL!!! Congrats. That's progress. Still moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dude, I hope my weigh in on Friday is good. I've been sooo scared of the scale lately!

    ReplyDelete
  24. you make tennis sound fun and exciting and asthough its something I should give a go, then I remember my complete lack of hand eye co-ordination and remember I'm probably safer leaving it lol!

    Also that is an EPIC number of calories to burn.

    P.S Keeley Hawes is going to guest star in an episode of DW, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Kirsty it is so much fun! You should give it a try!

      OOH! Awesome! I've been drooling over the few pics of filming that has been leaking around the interwebs!

      Delete
  25. I think it's awesome that you guys are able to take a tennis class together! I'd love to do something similar with my husband although the sports we enjoy aren't the same, and aren't the best co-ed. But even though I've never picked up a tennis racket, I do think it'd be fun to try it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to come check it out, next Tuesday is bring a friend day! It's at the YMCA Manship branch off Siegen and Perkins! Starts at 6:30!

      Delete
  26. Keep it up! You are doing great

    Me and hand eye coordination = miss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alvina! Awww, it's a work-in-progress for me too!

      Delete