Wednesday, April 16, 2014

First Tennis Match and my Tennis Wishlist

Well my first tennis match is in the books! 

It was awesome and awful at the same time!  Awful because we lost spectacularly.... 6-0 and 6-1.  But awesome because it was great fun and I met some really nice ladies and had just an all around good time. 

When I first arrived at the courts, I met up with the other ladies and men who were in the league.  Ronnie (my normal instructor and the tennis pro) and Liz (the administrator for the Louisiana Tennis Assoc.) partnered us up and my partner was named Julia.   After everyone got their partner, then they matched us up with another pair for the match.  The ladies that we played (we found out very quickly during our first set...) were actually used to playing and were on another tennis league.  So yea, we were quite outmatched!

No excuses though, because I played like crap that first match.  I think I was nervous!  We finally got in a little bit of a groove in the second and actually won a game.  We were so happy that we took a pic!

Sure hope it's ok that I posted Julia's pic out on the interwebz!
After we finished our match, Ronnie split up all the teams and partnered us up with different people.  I think the reason was that he wanted to make it more even (like the true beginners with others who are a bit more knowledgeable).  I ended up with a lady named Nicole and we played against Julia and another lady (I'm sorry I forgot her name, I am horrible with names!)  This match was a bit closer.  We were only able to play one set but it was much closer.  Maybe 6-5 and quite honestly I'm not even sure who won! 

I played MUCH MUCH better the 2nd match than the first.  I think I was more relaxed at hitting my strokes and my serves were much better this time around.  I guess my nerves finally started to calm and I just focused on making the shots.

So now that the first day is out of the way, I'm really looking forward to next Tuesday!

Here's a few things that I want to get eventually!

First up is a new racquet.  The racquet that I'm using now is a cheap ole thing that I got from Target for like $30.  I tested out a new racquet the other day during backhand clinic that Ronnie loaned me and WOW what a difference!  The price is a little (a lot!) higher than I expected but, it's pretty much a one and done sort of thing (unless you throw your racquet and break it...).






This is a Babolat Pure Drive.  I'm pretty sure it is made of awesome.  The cost is around $190.

Next up, I just bought new shoes, so these I won't be getting for a while.  But if you know me, you know I love purple and yellow (Geaux Tigers!).  So I instantly fell in love with these bad boys.





Asics Gel Solution Speed 2 Women's Court shoe

And finally, I love me some bondibands.  I just wish they had more Tennis-y ones!




28 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation on a racquet! I'm going to take a look this weekend and head in to a few shops and give them a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet racket and I LOVE the shoes (I'm a sucker for anything with happy colors).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I adore bold colors (especially when they have purple in them!)

      Delete
  3. Being on a tennis league is SO awesome! I love those headbands you have. Super cute (and practical).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I'm pretty excited about it too. Having a ton of fun!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear you had so much fun! I love the winning picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look like you're having so much fun!! Love that picture!! And I love those shoes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those shoes are SCREAMING my name! I'm a purple and green girl myself! glad you're having such a blast with tennis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joie! :) I love those shoes too so they are definitely on my "must" list!

      Delete
  7. LOVE the shoes! and I read Wed. post...forget the scale, focus on being healthy, moving and eating well. Measure yourself once a month, I'm sure you are gaining muscle and loosing fat, that's what I'm doing. My scale went back up but my clothes are not as tight. We take our victories where we can. Like NSV non scale victories, I can walk longer and can even run some, my clothes are not as tight, I can wear my wedding band for the first time in two years...HUGS girl, you are doing FANtastic! I don't care WHAT the scale says :)
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks so much Dawn! And you are sooo right! Those NSV do add up too and we definitely can't always rely on that stupid scale!

      Delete
  8. Sometimes losing spectacularly can be fun! Glad you're still enjoying tennis, you should splurge on a fancy racquet! I'm tossing my scale for a bit as well. Stupid thing just won't behave! I forgot my Bondiband on my last two runs and regretted it the whole stinking time! I hate having sweat drip in my eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I'm totally addicted to bondi bands now too. I need to get more. I'm wearing out my 3 that I do have!

      Yep, we need to start a "scales suck" club! We can be co-presidents!

      Delete
  9. That's great on the tennis match. So brave to do that!

    I love the shoes. I think those must be Asics? They have a lot of purple ones. I just love purple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!! I nominated you for a Liebster I hope you accept! Your post are fun and inspiring! Not to mention that You Yoda and I have the SAME Motto!!
    she my post for details!
    http://adifferentd.blogspot.com/2014/04/who-me-d.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will say, you make me miss tennis terribly!

    I started playing in 4th grade or so, and I had about 2 crappier racquets before in High School getting my two fancy splurge ( for my mom and dad ) rackets. I have restrung and re-gripped them so many times. I will probably never change, as I love the one so much. The other one is just kept around for me to let other people use to play with me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you need to pick tennis back up again! It's so much fun! Maybe now that your hubby is home, he can play with you too!

      Delete
  12. Hey boo--I nominated you for a Liebster Award. See my post here: http://www.fleurtyandfit.com/2014/04/id-like-to-thank-academy.html
    xoxo Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your match! I remember those days! I use to play tennis in high school! I loved it but I was awful at it lol! I always lost! But I still had fun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindy! Yep, looks like running and tennis are gonna go with a similar theme for me (coming in last! LOL) Having fun is the most important part too!

      Delete
  14. I nominated you for the Liebster Award :) http://kflabuloustofabulous.blogspot.com/2014/04/and-nominees-are.html

    ReplyDelete