Friday, May 23, 2014

Tennis update!

The YMCA tennis tournament ended for me yesterday!  I lost both of my matches.  Booo!   It's ok though, all in all for my very first tournament, I had fun!  And Singles are a whole different ball of wax than Doubles that's for sure, especially in the heat and humidity.  And I know once I get the rest of this weight off, it will only help me improve. 



Here's a small recap of my tennis week thus far -

Tuesday's match was against one of the ladies that I've done clinics with (actually both of my matches were), so I kinda knew going into it that I was going to be outmatched.  Tuesday we arranged to meet at 4:30 to play.  Now I usually get off work at 3:30, so I made sure to pack all my stuff and just leave straight from work.  I also grabbed a couple of tubes of sunscreen and they are now permanent fixtures in my tennis bag!   I also made sure I had a couple of Larabars on hand since I knew Tuesday was going to be a long night (Singles match, and then last night for Sets in the City league).

When I got out of my car, this is what the temp read:


As with my running, I always try to sat at least don't come in dead last (which as you know, I've become a master at doing just that..see here and here) So my mantra for tennis was to just at least win one game.  (Tennis goes like this - game, set then match) so I at least wanted to see at least a number on the board.   Well my first match against Alison wasn't meant to be.  She is REALLY good!   I lost both sets: 6-0, 6-0.   Ah well. 

After our match, I went to the car to blast the A/C and try to cool off for a bit before Sets in The City started. 


I finally walked back over to the Tennis Center and waited for everyone to get there.  Once they did, Ronnie divided everyone up with partners and we went on to play our matches.  This time around I got matched with Carryn and we won our match 6-4, 6-2!  She is a net monster!  Plus she's really tall so not much gets past her! LOL   It was fun to end the league on that note.  Afterwards, our local USTA representative had an after party at Rotollo's restaurant so we all went there once our matches were finished.   Most of the group was really sad that the league was over and we questioned, "what was next".   Well, Ronnie and the USTA rep said, next you guys can start leagues and such.  A lot of the people bemoaned that and felt not quite ready so, we are going to get 5 more weeks of instruction/training/gameplay with the same set of people!    I think I'm going to do this again with the same group.  A lot of us are all on the same level (as in, not quite ready to get super duper involved in league play and still want some basic training and understanding of the game).  With all the clinics and lessons that I do, at some point, I know I'll need to move on to that next stage too but I really like this group so I think I'll stick it out with them rather than get thrown into the fire!

After all of Tuesday's tennis, I decided to give myself a rest on Wednesday (plus after a long night of tennis, I usually have a pretty bad P.F. flare up the next day as was the case on Wed.)

Thursday morning I was able to set up a match with my next opponent, Marianna for 5:00 that evening.  At first, I thought it wasn't going to be too bad out, it seemed like it was slightly overcast even though it was in the upper 80s but the humidity was in full force.  This match was REALLY tough.  The heat just wears you down so fast.   The match started out way lopsided, she was up 5 games really quickly because I kept making stupid mistakes (why can't they let us use Doubles lines in Singles?! heh heh)  but I FINALLY got my nerves shaken off and started actually connecting with some shots.  I eventually got 4 games in a row and we were at 5-4.  Then of course, stupid mistakes came back and I lost that last game so the first set went down at 6-4.

The next set was pretty dismal.  The heat was really getting to me I think and even though we were drinking plenty of water, it was just exhausting.   I lost that set 6-1.


The good news is that, I definitely played much better this time around.  I made a couple of really good shots when it counted. and we actually had several deuces and it went back and forth several more times.  I think once I get over my nervousness of playing against other people, and get my confidence up, I can really see myself improving.

After that match ended we were supposed to have a Stroke of the Month clinic but no one showed up for it.  It's just as well because I was really tired and drained after the match.  I was going to tell Ronnie anyway that I was done for the day but he beat me to it.

One things for sure, WHEN I get the rest of this weight off, I will be a good tennis player....eventually!



24 comments:

  1. Doubles is so much easier than singles and way more FUN! We played doubles this weekend with my sister-in-law and her husband and had a blast. We then took a few minutes and played singles, not so fun. SO MUCH MORE RUNNING! I will say, I loved my new racquet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you had a great time and had fun! Yep, singles is tough for sure!

      Delete
  2. <3 that Snoopy picture! Sounds like you had a lot of fun and so glad you're getting to go another round with your league training. I feel the same way with the weight and my running...it's holding me back from my goals and I need to take care of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The important thing is you got out there! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I LOVE MITCH HEDBERG. So sad he died! But great job with all of that tennis. I do not ever want to play in that kind of heat...but I know it is unavoidable. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're getting better and better every time you play! You look so happy in those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like so much fun though and at least you're trying. I remember having to learn to attempt tennis in gym classing during high school and more than anything else I spent time chasing after the ball than actually hitting it with the racket. I don't really have an athletic bone in my body. I like to make fast, upbeat playlists on my iPod and 'dance it out', I also use the Wii Fit along with Zumba on Wii, and once our pool is open I make great use of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, that was us at first totally too, now that I actually know proper form and control, it's getting so much better! Ahh see I'm the opposite too, I am so so uncoordinated that dance is just like my own personal hell! LOL I would love to get back to swimming though!

      Delete
  7. Send some of that heat and humidity my way!

    Love to hear about your improving confidence...I feel similar with regards to running races...

    And as has already been mentioned you look happy in those pics.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice that you found a sport that you love! You look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shifting between doubles and singles is hard! Singles is a much tougher workout too - that court feels huge when you're running back and forth across it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man! Mitch Hedberg! That takes me back! And the joke is completely relatable for me.
    Damn! That weather is HOT! Good for you still working out in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Des! It sounds like you had a lot of fun regardless of the score!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Mitch Hedberg. I don't know that I remember that quote from his stuff. I hope to get some tennis in this summer, either with the hubs or with my dad. I'm not good enough to commit to any type of tournament (even for beginners) ... I really just like to hit the ball around, not even keeping score :)

    ReplyDelete