Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Weekly update/Weekend recap

Since I kinda covered my last week in the July recap, I won't go into great detail about exercise, but I did pretty good there.   During the week I did well with food but once again the weekend sinks me.  I didn't do bad, but I didn't do too well either.  Just meh.  I also didn't do much exercise this weekend.   Tennis was cancelled Saturday and will be this coming week also since all the instructors are all on vacation.  Some of the regular girls and I may just go up and hit around a bit tonight (weather permitting) just to do something.  But back to the weekend, I just felt like I needed some down time since I've been really killing it lately so I rested a bit on Saturday and Sunday.

The good - all the exercise.  I got hour walks in every single day on my breaks at work
The bad - only 2x strength training
The ugly - Food.  Must do better and only one run last week

Friday we did a good amount of cleaning since we were supposed to have company over Saturday afternoon.  Saturday morning we got several friends and family and went and watched Guardians of the Galaxy (more on that in a bit) then afterwards, I hit the grocery store, cake shop and then came home to finish getting the house ready for Dungeons and Dragons with friends.  (Chris is dungeon master so he was working on his prep work).  We started making a huge pot of jambalaya when we got the call that they had to cancel unexpectedly.    So we had a ton of food and snacky stuff around the house.  My brother in law was already there but we called our other friend John to come over and help eat.  We still have some left so I'm eating jambalaya for lunch today.   I'll be glad when the cake squares get finished off.  I'm proud of myself though, I've only had one since Saturday.

Sunday was good too.  We got the house tidied up and then binge watched season 4 of The Killing.  I also finished the 3rd book of Gillian Flynn's.   I loved Gone Girl up until the end (no spoilers...)  so I swore off reading any of her other books but then I got talked into reading Dark Places.  And it was worth the read.  I enjoyed it so after I finished that one I said I may as well give Sharp Objects a whirl.  I definitely liked Dark Places the most, then Sharp Objects next and then there is Gone Girl.   Speaking of, I showed my mom the trailer and she is interested but I'm sure she will talk me into going to see it with her.  (She read the book and feels the same way as I do).  Hopefully they will re-work the ending or something.  I just don't know how they can and I was so disappointed after finishing G.G.

ANYWAYS (oh look, a tangent!)  Back to the most important event of the weekend.  Guardians of the Galaxy!



WE LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It was as if Firefly and The Fifth Element had an awesome baby.   I loved everything about it.  The characters, the story.  If I had just one flaw with it though, and it's teensy tiny, I was expecting more out of Nebula (Karen Gillan a/k/a Amy Pond).  I was excited to see her and was hoping she would be a "good" baddie.  But that's really the only bad thing I can say about it.  The movie was awesome as was the soundtrack (especially if you are a child of the 80s.)  And I loved all the pop culture references (Quill's ship is named The Milano - after Alyssa!) being the pop culture geek that I am!   I love that the Marvel Universe is expanding now and would love to see some crossovers with some of the Avengers (pretty please!)  So Mr. Skinny Geek and I both give it 2 very big thumbs up!  Go see it and then let me know what you think!

How was your weekend?  Do anything fun?


26 comments:

  1. Holy crap, Firefly and Fifth Element having an awesome baby?!? THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST MOVIE EVER! I cannot wait to see it!

    Nice work avoiding the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it was really really good! Loved it!

      Thanks now if only it will be out of my house by the time I get home! (The cake!)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an awesome movie!!! And I think it is awesome that you guys play D&D! Maps and figurines, or just paper and dice? All in all, awesome job! Let someone else eat the cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maps, figurines, paper and dice, we also use dry-erase boards and have a dry erase grid map that we can play our adventures on! The whole she-bang. Sometimes we even get tech-y and put scenery up from a laptop onto the tv! :)

      Delete
  3. I really want to go see that!

    I'm with you on GG. Very disappointed in the ending. I liked Sharp Object though, so I may have to give Dark Places a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Dark Places is definitely my favorite of the 3. I did like Sharp Objects though.

      Delete
  4. I love Chris Pratt, so we are looking forward to this. We saw the Planet of the Apes this weekend; it was really good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was really good too! I love Ceasar!

      Delete
  5. I told my husband you loved the movie and he's agreed we have to go and see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I still really want to see that movie!!! I know I could go with Dan in a heartbeat, but don't know the next time we'll see them. LOL

    Bummer about tennis being cancelled all week. That's great you have people you can hit around with, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We loved Guardians as well. My son and husband went back and watched it again during my hair appointment. Dirty dogs lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a superhero/sci fi fan at all, but I kinda want to see that movie too. It's a Chris Pratt thing. *Swoon*

    I'm excited to catch up on the Killing. I love that show. I'm so glad they did a fourth season. Plus it is filmed in my neighbourhood, so it is always exciting to see local spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my yes, Chris Pratt. Who would have thunk he was such a hottie!!! Swoon is right! :)

      Really, neato about the Killing. I love that show and was heartbroken when the cancelled it. Thank goodness for netflix and tv resurrections. (Now if only they can do that with Firefly...grumble grumble).

      Delete
  9. I think my husband wants to come play D&D with you. He hasn't played in awhile. A group of friends were planning to start again when one of the guys' little boy was diagnosed with liver cancer (he is doing well - 5 rounds of chemo and just had the tumor removed :) Maybe they will try again this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Glad the little one is doing better though! Hopefully they can get another round started again soon! (If y'all are ever down this way, we'll more than happily play some DnD with you! ;)

      Delete
  10. Is it bad that I'm probably the only that is fixated on the cake squares instead of the movie, book, or dungeon and drags...lol.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL nothing wrong with that at all. (But if they are still in my fridge after work when I get home today, I'm throwing them away! No more temptation!)

      Delete
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy was such an awesome movie! I think the characters are key to the story...they are all so loveable in one way or another...

    Also, love that your playing D&D...personally I haven't played in along time, but wish I had a group to play with! What type of character do you play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play a dragonborn warlord named Kava! :D Mostly a tank type character!

      Guardians was so so so good! Loved it!

      Delete
  12. I felt the same way about Gone Girl. I got the ending, I just didn't feel very good about it. I'll definitely check out Dark Places. My husband is going to see Guardians of the Galaxy tomorrow and I'll get to see it on Tuesday night. I can't go see it first or I'd spoil it for him because I know I'd want to talk about it! I can't wait to see it - I've heard such consistently great things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My son has begged me to go see this...I guess I need to take him! Everyone I know seems to love it. I don't know anything about comic book stuff, though...hopefully I won't be lost or bored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I think you'll like it. It's a origin story of sorts for these characters and they jump right into the action. You should be able to pick it up quickly and follow along! So so good!

      Delete