Friday, September 19, 2014

Beat the Blerch Virtual Race is coming!


Beat the Blerch Run is this weekend and I signed up for a 10K.  What the ever-loving crap was I thinking!?!?!

I haven't ran consecutively since um, maybe April?   I just can't deal with the heat and humidity from April - September.  An excuse; you betcha.  I know plenty of people who do run here in Louisiana and deal with it.   But let's face it, I have a hard enough time getting any running in as it is.  It's just not my 'thang'.  But, that being said, I know that it is necessary and it will eventually help me to get this weight off and as a wonderful side bonus, to help with conditioning for tennis.  I never, ever forsee me running anything more than a 10K anyway.

As far as the race itself goes, no way am I even going to attempt to run the whole thing.  I'm thinking that I will actually restart C25K and do W1D1, D2 and D3 back to back.  I know you aren't supposed to do them all at once like that.  But I can probably run a mile straight if I really wanted to(and have done so recently..)  but if I ran that mile straight, I would totally burn myself out and then the next 5.2 miles would seriously be dreadful.  Plus, the sooner I get this done in the morning the less hot it will be and ain't nobody got time to be walking for 3 hours....

I've been thinking of re-committing to the C25K anyways and hopefully soon it will start cooling down.  I've actually been thinking about doing it before the Virtual race option even became available but my plan then was to start it in October.  This will put me at starting it about a week and a half sooner.  Plus one of my goals for October is going to be to run 3x per week (even if it's only a mile or so).

Oh and I guess I should note, that if I actually can do this, a 10K will officially be my longest distance ever (running, walking or run/walk)!  Even on the elliptical I've only done 5 miles at a stretch!



Is running D1-3 of C25K a smart thing?  Should I do something else (run 3, walk 1)?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated!  (and this color is as close as I could get to the Virtual Run colors)

13 comments:

  1. I like doing the galloway walk/run when I am getting back. I've recently started training using the MAF method and I really really like it. Look into it! It's heart rate training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a good bit of searching but I can't find an app for Galloway. Does one exist? I'll look into the MAF as well.

      I needed to add, that if I can accomplish this tomorrow... This will be my longest run, ever!

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of Zombies, Run! There is a 5K learn to run, or just the basic free flow running version. It taught me to run and it was fun. 10K is pretty far, but you have been working out a lot, so I don't think it's going to be the end of world for you. But I would definitely recommend the zombies version over C25K. It's just more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have Zombies, Run! I need to revisit that one I think.

      Delete
  3. I'm comfortable running 5-8 minutes at a time, with 2-3 minutes in between. I could probably keep that pace up for a while. I say find somewhere you're comfortable and go with that for the race. I do use a C25K app but I mess with it every time. I redo intervals to make it 5 km instead of whatever you get through in the time it allows. If that makes sense. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Winter! I did do a baby interval at first but after yesterday, I'm really gonna have to work on my stamina again so I may have to revisit c25K for realsies.

      Delete
  4. I think you should do whatever you're comfortable with. I do 4 run/walk 2, but switched it up to 6/2. Just figure out what you can maintain and set intervals on Runkeeper (if you use it). It will tell you when to switch.

    You can totally do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would just play with whatever feels comfortable in terms of intervals. It's great that you'll be able to set a new distance PR for yourself! Love the little Blerch they sent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Desiree--you super caught my attention on the running thing (I love to run) but I am SO confused what you asked--it's like youre speaking another language haha...c124, D1...??

    I love that you have a running goal, makes it kinda more fun and meaningful to run--at least for me it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C25K is Couch to 5K running program. Week 1 and Day 1 for w1d1 :)

      Delete
  7. OMG the little "blerchs" remind me of Adipose!! lol!

    ReplyDelete