Sunday, September 21, 2014

Beat the Blerch Virtual Race - My first 10K

I spent about an hour in bed yesterday morning just after I woke up trying to mentally come up with every excuse in the book as to why I didn't want to run. Here's a couple of the better excuses:
"I hate running"
"It's still so hot here"
"I'd much rather just go to the gym and get this done on the elliptical, at least it's air-conditioned in there and I can watch Doctor Who at the same time"
"I should wait and do it tomorrow"
"I could probably finish reading Outlander instead of running"

But the one excuse that I didn't have was tennis.  We didn't have our normal tennis clinic Saturday and the weather (yesterday morning) was absolutely gorgeous.  Plus, I wanted to have a true rest day Sunday.

I also knew that I wanted to try for a 10K and I am weird about races that I already have a shirt for.  I wanted to be able to prove to myself that I could do it and I would earn the right to wear that really awesome Beat The Blerch tech shirt. 

Somehow I managed to propel myself out of bed and get dressed.   At first, I thought that I'd just do it up and down my street but after mentally counting how many laps it would take to do it, I opted instead to go to the park.  My street is very very boring and there is usually some new construction going on further down and there's always rogue clumps of dirt, nails, debris all over the street that I really wanted to avoid.  Also, there is no shade and at this time it was already 9:30 with the heat of the day heading our way and fast.  At least with the park, there would be things to look at and plenty of shade in some areas.

This is the only pic I took during the run yesterday
After hemming and hawing about how I was going to do this, I decided as I was starting that I would do 2 minute run / 2 minute walk for as long as I can.  I didn't want to use all my energy early on and because I really haven't ran consecutively in such a long time, I knew that a burnout was very likely.   I did pretty good with it at first but after about 40 minutes of doing this, I needed a walk break.  I took about a 10 minute reprieve and then decided that I would do w1d1 of C25K.  After that was finished, I literally had no more gas in the engine so I ended up walking the rest to get it done.  Time was terrible.   I was hoping to be at about 1 hour 30 minutes but that wasn't going to happen.  By now it was getting really hot and my legs felt like lead.  I finally finished at 1h55m8s. 

Ouch.

But, since this was my very first 10k, it still counts as a PR, right?!





 

Oh, and I totally had to go potty really bad (TMI, sorry!) and I don't trust the bathrooms at the park.  I went into a Best Buy on the way home.  Wearing my medal.  I totally did, I earned that puppy!

Looking back, I'm really glad that I did it but I also realize I need to build my stamina up again.   So, I'll be starting C25K again.  Since I have had success before with it, I may as well stick to it.  Running is definitely not my favorite thing but its almost a necessary evil for me.  And it will help with my tennis game and with conditioning so that's something I keep telling myself when I don't want to go.  And I definitely do not foresee me running anything longer than a 10K but I will be aiming for a new PR eventually!

I'm a little bit sore today.  Not nearly as bad as I was fearing but its the good kind of sore anyway.  :)


*** edited to add, I just noticed that this was my 300th post!!!***

34 comments:

  1. Now that's impressive!! Huge congrats on your first 10k. I wish I could do that. I have done the c25k program before. It's great. Good luck. You are doing fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it!!! That is awesome!! Congrats in the run and the monumentous 300th post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heck yeah! way to get it done! :) and congrats on that PR! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 300 and congrats on the PR!! "I hate running" is my excuse for never running. ;) Contemplating C25K next spring, but my street/neighborhood is ridiculously hilly. (/excuse)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, I totally hear ya there. Running is definitely not my thing either but you can't deny those results!

      Delete
  5. That is awesome! You did so great getting out and making your race happen. And the swag is super cute!! I love that you took your medal with you and wore it home. My first race was a 10K - it was a challenge. We are looking for another one to try to see if we have improved. Congrats on post 300 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wahoo, congrats on the 10k! that's amazing. I feel the same way when it comes to running: it's a necessary evil. Right now I'm training for a 5k in October -- my first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ani! Ahh good luck on your 5k coming up! You'll do great I bet!!!

      Delete
  7. I agree on the necessary evil. Congrats again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job!!!! I will hopefully be doing mine this week. I saw a few people at RnR Philly wearing their shirts and bibs but I have this thing about virtual runs. They can be in conjunction with actual races IF you do not get a medal at that race. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this??? OMG that's great!!!
    Honestly, I've only done a virtual 10K on the treadmill because of my pansy butt with the weather!! Congratulations!

    I'm about to pull the trigger for my November run, but its more of an obstacle course/maze/run thing....but it has an awesome medal and shirt. haha! Then I'm back to virtuals due to my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that medal and I love that wearing the shirt was motivation to get you out there. I'd feel wrong about wearing a shirt I hadn't "earned" too. :) Congrats on the new PR and 300 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang, woman, you kicked butt! 6.2 is no joke! I'm glad you fought through it and resisted the Blergh!

    Good kind of sore is the best kind of sore! Good luck finding a training plan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Des! There is a serious mental obstacle to running 10k...and I'm sure you've now over come this. Great to getting out on a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of posts! And well done on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to get back to it! You definitely earned that medal! Also, super jealous! I'm hoping to do the beat the blerch when he does his east coast version (fingers crossed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get to do the race next year! Yea, I heard he is going to do a Central one too like maybe in Colorado or something! Either way hope you get to run it!

      Delete
  15. Wow, congratulations on both a PR on a 10k AND your 300th post! How awesome are you!

    ReplyDelete