Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Catch-up & brain dump

Are you guys watching The Roosevelts on PBS?  I think Teddy Roosevelt has quickly jumped up the ladder to become my favorite president.  Plus he is very quotable. 





This is the last week of the #FleurtySummerChallenge and I'm going to be sad to see it end.  I've been really doing well with this.  I've had a few hiccups here and there but for the most part have stayed the course.   (I guess that's true with just about anything!)   I'll have a more detailed post up about all of this towards the end of the week and about all my thoughts, feelings, successes, failures, etc during the challenge.

In other news, I haven't done a weekly update from last week.   I did pretty good though, I think I got 5 days of exercise in and food was good.  I'd give myself a B for last week. 

On Saturday, however, at some point while playing tennis, I managed to hurt my back.   I shrugged it off and kept on going.  It was a "tweak" and I guess after the age of 40 those happen regularly so I did what I thought was best and ignored it and kept on going.  The lesson itself, turned out to be one of my best ones.  It was just me and Coach Lo so a good one on one lesson and we covered the gamut of forehands, backhands, volleys, serves and overhead smashes for an hour and a half.

As I left the clinic to head home and was walking to the car, I felt achy in my back.  So I decided to go ahead and put the heated seat to on and that may help work the kink out.  By the time I arrived home and went to get out of the car, I came to the stark realization that I could hardly move.  Uh oh.

With Chris's help, I got in and immediately got to the shower, got changed and then promptly sat on a heating pad constantly since Saturday around noon.  Each day it feels a bit better than the last, but I've been without any exercise since Saturday and I really think I am not going to tennis tonight either and listen to my body.   So I'm definitely going to give it one more full day of rest and play everything by ear for tomorrow.  Shitty timing for an injury right?  Just as I'm on the tail end of this challenge.

The good (?!) news is that I'm doing a good job of clearing off my dvr for the new fall tv shows! 


62 days left until Disney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I get to make our FastPass + reservations Thursday night!  This will be my first time doing that.  Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?  Do I just go after the main attractions?  Halp!

And I signed up a while back for The Oatmeal's virtual 10K.   I'm quietly starting to freak out about it.  I have not ran in a while (a few weeks) and consistently well - even longer.  Plus it's still hot as Hades here.  My thought was to run/walk the thing on the Sunday morning early.  My "plan" was to start running again more regularly once it started cooling off (October).  I may try a 4 minute run / 2 minute walk method and just see how it goes.

It came with some really awesome swag!
I also signed up for a trip next May to New York City!  I'm so excited!  It will be my first time going and a girls only trip!  My mom, aunt, another aunt and cousin will all be joining me.  It should be so much fun and something I've always wanted to do (Visit NYC!)!    So I definitely want some tips and suggestions if you guys have any!  We are going to be there for only 4 days (boo) and will try to hit all the touristy stuff but should have some time to do a few other special things I'm hoping!

Alrighty that's about all that's going on right now with me.  Hope you guys are doing well!

Gimme all your NYC tips/tricks!  Also if you have any experience with Disney's Fast Pass+ scheduling?  (Back in my day, you had to walk to the fast pass machine!  Like a savage!)

20 comments:

  1. You can always start you own challenge for October :)

    Sorry to hear about your back! I somehow tweaked mine yesterday and am popping advil today like it is no one's business. Yay?

    And so jealous about the Blerch! By the time I went to sign up, they were sold out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I need to look and see if I can find something. I'm not sure I could start or host a challenge but I can definitely join one :)
      Thanks. Hope yours feels better asap too!
      Bummer about you missing the Virtual run. Hoping he will do another!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy Disney! My suggestion for FastPass is choose all the newest rides, as those ones seem to have the longest lines and are worth the jump.

    NYC is May! Great time to go! Make sure you take in a Broadway show. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I think I'll hit our main ones that we know do fill up fast. I love the fast pass system and I hate walking the park to hurry and get the tickets so I think this online version will be really awesome.

      We are definitely hitting one. I think it's between Phantom, Wicked and Kinky Boots!

      Delete
  3. Aww, bummed to read about your injury. Sounds like you've been doing a great job staying on track, though. I could use some similar motivation, aah!

    I don't have many NYC tips or tricks, but I do have one and it's SERIOUS. Get yourself to Levain Bakery and thank me later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope youre feeling better and good luck on the races. A girl trip to NYC sounds like a wonderful time make sure to take some pictures for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch...poor back. Hope it continues to improve...and rapidly. Maybe Crazy Penguin is on to something - October challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea maybe so on the October Challenge! I need to do something!

      Delete
  6. oh no i'm sorry about the back!

    Honestly my favourite parts of my NYC trip was just wondering around time square at night, listening to street artists. Although seeing show on broadway was a pretty close second!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ahh that will be awesome! I can't wait! We are staying near Times Square so I bet that will be really nice too!

      Delete
  7. Ouch! Hope your back feels better soon.

    Very exciting about your upcoming trips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard not to have fun on a girl's trip to New York. :) My biggest advice for booking your Disney things is to bring your patience - their website is not great and may give you error messages a lot. Don't worry - it isn't you. It's them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL True that. I was able to schedule my stuff last night and it went relatively well! Which is a miracle because I was soooo tired!

      Delete
  9. Oh no too bad about your back! Good call on resting it. Listen to your body. It's really hard to do that and not be active but being smart helps.

    I haven't been to Disney in YEARS so no clue on that but I can help with NYC. Before the boys were born I went a few times a year (I have family there). Let me know if you want any tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, send me all the tips! This is probably going to be my once-in-a-lifetime trip to NYC so I want to hit all the major stuff (if we can)!

      Delete
  10. You are doing so great! One thing to try with your back is alternating heat and ice/cold packs. End with cold to help reduce inflammation. Sorry you're injured!

    ReplyDelete