Thursday, October 2, 2014

Eye carumba...

That was so cornea!  I'm just making a spectacle of myself.  I should be lashed. 

ANYWAY.

So this post is gonna be about head injuries.  Specifically while playing tennis. 

How does that happen you ask?  Well, when you attempt to hit an overhead and briefly take your eye off the ball, then accidentally hit the ball with the side of your racquet, and then it riccochets into your eye ball.  That's my story.

When it happened, I immediately stopped, Coach Lo ran over and the other girl who was in clinic with me.  The eye was a bit blurry.  So I figured my contact just got jutted around a bit.  I went to the bathroom and took the contact out, washed it and tried to put it back in.  At this point my eye lid started to swell a bit and my eye was really bloodshot.  I managed to stick the contact back in and eventually the blurry went away.  So I did what any respectable person would do and grabbed my racquet and went back to class.

I made it home ok.  It was a little painful but no major issues other than an ache.  This is what it looked like last night and it's hard to tell here, but it was only slightly swollen and a wee bit bloodshot by then.

the left eye in this pic
After talking with my mom, who always advises to go to the Doctor with every little thing, I begrudgingly decided to call my Ophthalmologist and he was able to squeeze me in.


He said it was a good thing I came in.  The good news is that there is no major damage other than it being inflamed and sensitive.  If I would have waited any later then inflammation would have gotten worse as would the pain.  The cornea isn't scratched (thank goodness!).  He did prescribe me some steroid drops that I need to use for 3 weeks.  And no contacts until those drops are finished.  He said I may have a little light sensitivity and I can already tell this is going to be the case because it's only 11:00 here and I already have a headache forming. 

Who knew tennis was a contact sport?

37 comments:

  1. I love all the puns :p boo on getting hurt though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yea the puns were just too easy to pass up. :) Hopefully the drops will help!

      Delete
  2. Oh lady! I hope it clears up quickly! But what a trooper, going back to the match!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a beast! Sure, you injured yourself but you fought through it and kept playing. DAMN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yea, Lo took it easy on us afterward though. We only practiced serving after the eye episode. Ah well. ;)

      Delete
  4. Geeeh! That sounds awful!! Tennis balls can be pretty fiesty! Glad your eye is ok--gosh I would be soo sad to have an eye injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad now! The drops are giving me the worst issue at the moment!

      Delete
  5. OMG!! Please do take it easy! Hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch!!!! It seems perfectly reasonable to go back to playing tennis, not at all obsessive :p
    Hope it gets better sooner rather than later x

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you'll be getting your helmet when? ;)

    Glad it's not a super bad injury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris threatened to get me a dog cone so I will stop poking at my eye. LOL

      Thanks! Me too!

      Delete
  8. See.....just one more proof that sports are dangerous!! :-)

    Seriously though....speedy recovery and I'm glad it wasn't as serious as it could have been

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are tougher than I am - I would have immediately needed a couch to lie down on, ice packs and a floral delivery :) Hope it gets back to normal soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch! I'm with you - I'd have never considered going to the doctor unless someone forced me to but hopefully the steroid drops will help things settle down for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I'm totally like that but I just didn't want to take any chances with the ole peepers. My eyes are bad enough as it is!

      Delete
  11. Dang, battle scars from tennis! I hate to go to the doctor...Patrick will beg me to go for days before I'd actually drag myself in, but I'm glad you did. And I am so digging all the eye puns! Hope it's better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouch! I LOVE your puns, FYI. Just another reason I love your blog so much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! I didn't know tennis was so brutal...take care of that eye!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no! So glad you got it checked out and are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank God there was no permanent damage. I hope it heals sooner than later and be careful playing TENNIS! (who knew!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, so glad this didn't turn out to be any worse. Keep your eye on the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yikes, I'm so glad you went to the eye doctor. I delay Dr. visits myself but when it comes to my eyes I don't mess around!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes! My worst eye injury was from the blow dryer plug. Yes, you read that correctly, the blow dryer plug. I was pulling it out of the closet and the plug swung out and whacked me in the eye. Prongs first. My husband was gaming with his friends and they all decreed that I'd "be fine" because they didn't want to stop gaming to watch Alex (this was well over a decade ago) while I went to the eye doctor. I ended up with a scratched cornea and nasty neosporin like eye ointment but no eye patch! My funny co-worker even had the "yo-ho-ho" music from Pirates cued up when I came back to the office because he was hoping I'd have an eye patch. Glad your eye is ok and hope your family and coworkers gave you more sympathy than I got! ;)

    ReplyDelete