Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Weigh In Wednesday

The Hump Day Blog Hop

Quickie post here.

Welp, I knew today's weigh in was going to be up just because of T.O.M.  So I wasn't too surprised when I stepped on the scale to see this -


Up .8 from last week.  No biggie but moving on.  I am really hoping to hit 184.4 (60 pound lost) by the time my Fitversary comes around (November 7th, 2012 was when I stated this whole journey).   Or better yet, just simply get below 186.4 (my "stuck" weight). 

Not much new to post since yesterday.  Still candy free *yay!*  Someone had mentioned a good idea and I can't remember who or where I saw it to give them credit.  But I may set aside only 6 pieces of candy out of our candy bucket and allow myself one per day after Halloween.  If that was you who suggested it, then thank you!  I think I will do that also.  Then the rest gets donated to my co-workers or to Devyn.  But either way it's going to get out of my house once Halloween is over!

We had a round robin tennis last night.  It went fairly well.  But let me tell you about this awesome guy I had the pleasure of playing with.  He was 77 years old and was diagnosed 2 years prior with Parkinson's.   He went onto explain that his doctor wants him to keep active and that is what he was doing. 


I played the first set with him.  We were down 5-1 and finally started to get our grove going.  We managed to pull ourselves back to come back and win the set 6-5!  It was great!.  The next 2 sets we rotated partners out so it ended up that I was playing against him with both of those.  Do you know that man (obviously) couldn't run for the ball other than moderate effort but he was spot on with his ball placement.  Once he figured out that I was kinda good at the net, he started lobbing everything over my head and the next 2 games were just us scrambling to get to these crazy, well-placed shots by him.  Some worked, some didn't.  But ether way, it was a definite learning experience with a total different style of play.  He knew he had disadvantages but he also knew what he had to do to make it work for him.  Also, he used the slice motion and made some killer points off us that way too.    I can only hope that when I'm 77, I'll still be healthy enough to play and with his amazing attitude!


As Halloween approaches, it dawned on me that it was last year that Mr. Bill (Mr. Skinny Geek's dad) started his hospital stay and subsequent decline.   So Halloween is going to be a little bittersweet this year.  He passed away on December 3rd.

Hope you guys are having a great day and if you weighed in, good luck!


24 comments:

  1. Great attitude regarding the gain! I hope you reach your 60 pound mark soon! I love the term "Fitversary", had never heard that term before. I am stopping by from the Weigh In Wednesday linky, so nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not terrible for TOM! Hope you can make your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hopefully the scale stays that way and doesn't go up any more while T.O.M is here! I hope I can too!

      Delete
  3. What an amazing guy!! I am so impressed when I see people work hard with a great attitude despite their disadvantages. Sorry about your FIL - losing a loved one always makes the holidays bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna.. Yea, he was awesome! Yea, it really does. I'm thinking about him a lot today.

      Delete
  4. 0.8 isn't even a full pound, so you don't have to count it! You are doing great things. I like the Halloween candy idea, that's good! And wow, what a great perspective on being active with that tennis partner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh, that'll be gone by Friday and you'll be fine. 0.8 is just fluctuation :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. please? I wish my TOM bloat/gain was that moderate....mine shoot up almost 3lbs!

    yeah, I have issues...those 6pieces? wouldn't last past the first day. So my plan is let the kids pick their top ten pieces each, and then the rest is going to the dentist office that pays us for it (and they ship it to troops.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That TOM is an asshole, pardon my french.

    That halloween candy is an excellent idea. I will use that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can knock that small gain off of the court in no time!!! I love the fact that you talked about how the 77 year old man used his strength to compensate for his weekness. That's what we ALL should be doing in life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a older lady at my Weight Watchers meetings that plays probably as much tennis as you do (guessing she's in her 70s) so I'm sure you'll still be playing when you're that age!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard the first year those sad anniversaries roll around. Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to have lost 100 lbs by the end of December. My 1 year. But it's not going to happen. I'm stuck at 56 lbs. BUT that is 56 I'm not carrying around.
    you'll make it, so proud of you and your determination to continue thru injuries and life stresses.
    GO GIRL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Dawn sorry it's been a rough year. I'm with you though! I'm so proud of what you have accomplished though!

      Delete