Friday, January 30, 2015

Fit Geek Friday - Let The Games Begin!

Morning guys!

#FitGeekFriday at GeekFitness

Linking up once more with Geek Fitness and his #FitGeekFriday linkup!

Today's topic is "Let The Games Begin!"

My gaming history started back when my dad brought home a shiny new Atari 2600 in 1982.   I spent many, many hours playing games like Centipede, E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Breakout, Space Invaders and Combat.

E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial

Space Invaders
From there, I started hitting up the arcades.  I spent much of my time begging my parents for quarters and therefore a nickname was born of "Quarter Pounder".  Fun fact - that was also my C.B. handle back in the 80s too.  My dad thought it would be fun to let me chat with his C.B. buddies back then.  My parents bowled regularly on a few bowling leagues so I spent loads of time playing various arcade games at the bowling alley.  Now, Chris and I always make a point to spend some time at Disney Quest each time we go to Orlando for a vacation.   A nice little way to relive our childhood and play some games of our youth.

Eventually my gaming progressed to being obsessed with the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Mario Bros., Burger Time.  My absolute most favorite game ever of this era was Bubble Bobble though. 

Bubble Bobble
There is a lull in time here because that's when I started playing sports in middle school and high school and also starting socializing outside the house.  Oh and when I discovered boys.  Back then it definitely wasn't cool for girls to play.

I didn't really get back into gaming that much until I  had my daughter.  Around the age of 3 for her,  my then husband and I got a Sega Genesis.  And with it a few games that Devyn would like (mainly Toy Story... she was obsessed with playing that game!) so Dev and I spent a lot of time playing a few video games.  Around this time of course, ex and I were about to become exes for realsies so I didn't really start playing anything again until I met and started dating Chris.

Chris and I met in August of 2000.   By Christmas he was basically kinda sorta living with me.  As a Christmas gift for us he bought a Playstation 2.  He literally stalked the poor mail man until the moment it arrived.  I knew at that moment (and among other things) that I had met the man I was meant to be with.  Oh the gaming that we did!  Anything and everything. Gauntlet, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, etc..  Oh and Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds.   Not long after we bought Devyn a gamecube.  She was and still is obsessed with Pikman!  After the PS2 and GameCube, we briefly got an XBox but that didn't last too long.  We are Playstation people through and through!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Pikman

GTA
Around this time we started playing World of Warcraft and did so for about 3 years.  I still do love that game but oh my word is it addicting.   So many nights, weekends, immediately after work and before work, I would log in "just to check" to make sure auctions went well, or to do a little farming.  WoW consumed every bit of our lives for a while there and also was pretty detrimental to my diet.  During our WoW days is where I gained the most weight in my adult life.  It wasn't until I quit WoW that I realized how poorly we were treating ourselves and that's when changes slowly started happening in my lifestyle.  But back to the gaming aspect, I played mostly Paladin characters or Warriors.  Chris always plays a rogue (no matter what game).  Devyn, I think, was a Druid. 

This was my main pally, Cordylia back in The Burning Crusade expansion
Also we played a couple more pc based games during this era too.  Mainly The Sims (1-3). 

And now that brings us to present day. 

We only have a PS3 and a PS4 now.  Our poor little laptop won't hold any computer games either. Since the dawn of streaming content, our game time has worn down to just a few hours on the weekends.  Chris and I do play a good bit of Minecraft  and Diablo III together.  Solo lately, Chris tends to go with Destiny and I usually like to play DragonAge: Inquisition.

We also find time to play board games and role playing from time to time such as Munckin or pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons.


But.. what's different now versus how it all was before.  Yes, I do still play, but my first priority isn't the game itself but make sure that I am taken care of first before the playstation is even turned on.  I get my workout done or I don't play.   Simple as that!

Are you a gamer? What do you play?

22 comments:

  1. I'm on a single-player RPG kick right now, but I mostly have done online games most of my adult life. Games just take up so much time, so I'm really glad to have a FitDesk so I can game and exercise at the same time. It makes it so I don't have to choose, which is wonderful to be quite honest.

    I have to tone my online gaming back, though, because I sit for so long and it takes up so much time. I like my DS these days because I can just close it and it will go to sleep and pause my game. I can't do that on a home console.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I'm not a gamer but I LOVE going over games I'd played as a kid. The other day we played Super Sonic, the old version and wow...technology has come a long way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it really has! Nowadays some of the games are so realistic!

      Delete
  3. I loved and still love all aspects of Gauntlet, I have played every version of that game as well as the Zelda games, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Minecraft, Sims3. Not to mention D&D and Shadowrun. I am not much of a board gamer. As this sound like all I do it is not. It is just this is about gaming and I love gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been into video games but I LOVE board games and am just getting into RPGs. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have such fond childhood memories of arcades... it hurts my brain thinking about how many quarters I dropped into arcade game cabinets in my youth. Karate Champ FTW!

    #FitGeekFriday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh me too. Seriously I'd love to know (or maybe not) how much I spent on arcades as a kid.

      Delete
  6. Cool to hear about your gaming history Does...you got some serious geek cred!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not really a gamer, but I do play occasionally. I love world-building games. Every so often I go on a Sims, Pharoah, or Zeus kick. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I do love the Sims. I wish we had a good computer to run it.

      Delete
  8. I am a huge gamer. Stared with my Commodore 64 and collecovision (sp?) in the 80s. The 90's had all the intends and Playstations with a couple of PC games like Sims and Alice then in 04 I met Tom and he was part of the WoW beta and I saw that and have been hooked on it since the release of the game. I did take a 1 year break just after Pandaria came out because I was just getting into running, working FT and went back to school so I just didn't have the time. I am back to it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, there are some days that I REALLY miss WoW too but for the most part I'm ok with stepping back away from it. It's such a life suck (for me) and I can't really say, oh I'll log in and run 2 dungeons or farm for 1 hour. Then I get A.D.D. and think of all the other things I want to do (quests, etc.) So yea, best for me to stay away. :)

      Delete
  9. I know lots of people who got so seriously sucked into WoW. My husband used to play but now is wary of it because of how engrossing it can be. :)
    I'm personally a little addicted to Civilization - PS3, iPad, Nintendo DS. We have it on the computer as well but I've never gotten into that version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yea, I did play a little of Civilization too. It is fun!

      Delete
  10. I love your gaming story. I'm not much of one myself, but loved Atari and the original Nintendo system. I tend to like cartoon-y games, like Mario, etc. Our friend Dan is a huge gamer so I gave him my old PS2 and original NES. He plans on building a stand to house his TV and every gaming system he can get his hands on. He already has multiple X Boxes and PS systems. I like to play Little Big Planet a lot so he'll let me play that at his house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Big Planet is a hoot. We've played that for a bit too.

      Delete
  11. Your gaming story is AWESOME. I love it! And you are doing great things by being fit and gaming. For real! Gaming keeps us mentally young...that's something that people don't realize. I feel like I'll NEVER needs sites like Lumosity because I game...yay!

    ReplyDelete