Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Nerdy stuffs

This blog has taken a shift of late and focusing more on the diet/exercise aspect of my life here lately.   While I'm still struggling a bit with that, I thought I'd take a moment and let you know how my nerdy side is doing.

New Orleans Comic Con -

For the first time in 4 years, we actually didn't go this year.  I'm a little sad now that its over with that we didn't but there just wasn't anyone I was dying to see.  Plus it was just an unnecessary expense that we could easily forgo this time around.   Now if Stephen Amell went to NolaCC that would have been a different story altogether!  :)


Tabletop gaming -

We've played some DnD recently and progressing a bit there.  (Level 6 for my dragonborn, Kava!).   I do want to get back to playing some Munchkin or some other games soon.

Console/pc gaming -

Currently I'm addicted to Dragonage: Inquisition while Mr. Skinny Geek is hooked on Destiny.  We really need a 2nd PS4.   Our poor laptop wont handle anything else but I've been secretly itching to play the Sims 4.  Every once in a while also, I get an urge to play WoW again but then it goes away and I come back to my senses.  (Secretly I'm terrified if I play WoW again all my weight will come back on me tenfold)

Movies -

Have you seen the Avengers 2 trailer yet?  If not, go watch.  Seriously.  I'll wait.

BAD. ASS.  I cannot wait until May 1st!

Here's a few movies that I've watched and my thoughts on them.

Selma - Great movie and wonderfully acted.  I'm glad I watched this.  Tough to get through though.

The Imitation Game - One of Cumberbatch's finest performances.  Seriously.  Great movie.  Even Vampiress, Keira Knightly did a decent job (her teeth remind me of a vampire).

The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies - Ok, so here it is.  I liked it.  I didn't love it because of what they did to the ending.  I can't say any more without giving away spoilers.  If you watched it, you know what I mean.   I am NOT happy about a few things but I will say this.  This was the best of the 3 movies even with the shitty ending.   This movie made it all the more glaring the fact that Peter Jackson should have never cut the movie into 3.  The first 2 could have been combined easily.   In fact the first movie should have been cut off as soon as they took off from the Shire but I digress.

The Edge of Tomorrow: Live, Die, Repeat - Oddly enough going into this I thought I would hate it.  But, I actually kinda liked it.  It's like Groundhog Day but in the future and with Tom Cruise.  BUT, it was honestly not too shabby.

Into the Woods - Ok yea.  This wins for the worst movie I saw of 2015 so far.  UGH.  I wasted a gift card on this crap!  I knew it was a musical but it was just awful.  Hated it.  Even with Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All's dad in it (Doctor Who reference).

Big Hero 6 - Loved this!  It was great!

Television -

Currently we've binged on The Blacklist and although I detest all things James Spader, he sure does make a great Raymond Reddington.  I'm glad Top Gear is finally back on BBC America and now we are just biding our time until The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones comes back on!  There's a few more things here and there that we watch and love (Archer, Parks and Rec, etc!) too.

Books -

Way, way way behind on my reading but currently reading Book #2 of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, Dragonfly in Amber.  Ok yes, I do have a girly vice every now and then.   :P

So what fun stuff have you watched or played lately? 

28 comments:

  1. UGH. That Age of Ultron trailer! Give it to me now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really don't want to go back to WoW. My ex still plays, but he said they have nerfed some of the classes so bad they are unplayable, especially my beloved hunter :(. So I know I won't be returning. We saw the Avengers trailer last night during the game and both my son and I immediately said "must see!!". It looks awesome and we can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man bummer about the nerfing. They always do that though.
      Yea, I can't wait for Age of Ultron either!

      Delete
  3. OMG! I cannot wait for Avengers 2, CANT wait! I haven't played Sims in SO long, I can remember playing for hourrrrrrs when I was younger, like 8-10 hours at a time! I miss it! Im so glad I didn't waste money on Into The Woods, I really wanted to see it but I'll wait until it comes out in theatres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Avengers 2 is going to be great! I wanted to like Into the Woods too and was so disappointed!

      Delete
  4. Outlander is next on my reading list! Love hearing about your nerdy exploits. My Fella is a WoW-er...much to my chagrin :p We give each other a pretty solid run against each other for who is the bigger nerd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I played WoW actively for about 4 years but then stopped. I'm compulsive with WoW so I know if I went back it would consume me and I'd just rather not. I've been WoW free since 2012 (or thereabouts)

      Delete
  5. NICE! I like this post :) I was playing a dragonborn in our last campaign, but we all died :( She was awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! Yea, if Chris kills off Kava, he will start sleeping on the couch. (He is our DM).

      Delete
  6. Agh! I play WoW as well! I love my hunter, it's different since the expansion but not too bad. I wanted to see Into The Woods so badly and now I'm not so sure. I love reading your weight loss journey but you should let the geeky out more often. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicia, yea, I need to work on adding more geeky for sure! :)

      Delete
  7. So funny about the WoW thing... I took a break from WoW early last year soon after I started the blog and during that 8 months I really focused on weight loss. I've been in a plateau since September....and started back on WoW in August. One of my big goals for this year is to have better time management and more balance in my life. I want to be able to exercise and play WoW and read a book...all in the same day. Last few posts I've done on my blog have been talking about finding that kind of balance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a WoW date with my husband tonight. He introduced me to it when we were dating (once he was sure I would run when I found out he was a "nerd.") I rarely play anymore, but he loves when I do :) I don't know anyone who has liked Into the Woods. We are waiting for Imitation Game and Theory of Everything to come out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Chris and I used to play together too. He quit about a year and a half before I threw in the towel!

      Delete
  9. My husband got me hooked on House. I'm currently watching episodes with him and then going back and watching the first season when he's not around. Don't know how I missed it when it was on!?!? So good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you've kept busy. I was planning to go out of town to see Into the Woods on Thursday (last day it's showing there, and local theater isn't showing it). Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't. It's my second favorite musical, so I've really been looking forward to it. Was it that badly done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the play, you may like the movie! It just wasn't what I expected and I really didnt care for how it ended!

      Delete
  11. While I was sick I binge watched Criminal Minds....however I was not smart enough to do that on Netflix I watched it out of order and with commercials on TV....shows how sick I was. I have not been to the movies in FOREVER and I didn't even play WoW when sick because I felt like such shit.

    BTW the last time my friend was pregnant we called the unborn baby Stormy AKA Stormageddon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Criminal Minds in so long, I'd be totally lost!
      LOL I think next dog we adopt may be called Stormageddon! :D

      Delete
  12. I've taken a break from D&D for the last few months because the guy rotating into DM is not my favorite DM (although he's a wonderful guy, I just don't care for his style). I do love a good game of Munchkin though. And I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies yet. I'm kind of temporarily boycotting them because they took the smallest book and turned it into three movies. It just annoys me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it annoys me too and that's one of the BIG issues I have with it. Its like PJ just wanted to make as much money as he could. It totally did not need to be into 3 movies.

      Hope you get a new and better DM. That sucks.

      Delete
  13. We also skipped the convention this year. We missed it to go run in Disney, so I wasn't too upset. :)

    Every now and then I think about playing WoW again, too. I'll usually get my fix with the free days that they give when something new happens. Then I will play for a day and quit with no harm done to my wallet.

    I've also read books 1 & 2 of the Outlander series. I had an urge to re-read the Harry Potter books while on vacation, so that is what I am currently doing with my free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I think Id rather be at Disney too :)

      I do want to re-read H.P. also! I need to get on that!

      Delete
  14. Funny, all the Hobbit movies irked me. It's one of my all time favorite books and I just felt like the movies went too far away from the story I love. Meanwhile, I loved Into The Woods! Then again, I'm a musical theater geek as well as a sci fi geek.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big Hero 6 is on my list for our cruise. Of course, I'll probably wander in Captain America Winter Soldier too because, you know, Cap is pretty hot :)

    ReplyDelete