Friday, April 10, 2015

Fit Geek Friday: Stop Being Negative

#FitGeekFriday at GeekFitness

Another edition of Fit Geek Friday!

If you’re not familiar with link-ups and blog hops, they’re super simple: Use the “Add A Link” button below to leave a link to something awesome you wrote at your website, click into someone else’s links, comment, and make new friends! #FitGeekFriday is about bringing together the community of geekery-loving fitness junkies, so get out there and be social!

Today's topic is "Stop Being Negative" and boy does that topic hit home for me.  It can cover the gamut of many sorts of things such as internet trolls already badmouthing the new Star Wars movie, fat shaming and even internalizing the negativity.  I'm totally guilty of the last one. 

I have always been a quiet and shy person.  I've only (within the last 15 years or so) started to come out of the shyness.  I still freeze up around people when I meet them for the first time but I'm not so catatonic anymore, at least not like I used to be.  Growing up like that was tough though because my debilitating shyness lead to peers thinking I was snobby.  It also made me prime bullying fodder and dealt with those issues from middle school all the way up to high school.  The bullying also lead to some pretty low-self esteem issues,  which kept on going all the way through the disaster that was my first marriage.   Of course, being married and being verbally and mentally abused doesn't quite help matters either (not by Chris!  Let me make that clear, he is amazing!  This was all during my first marriage). 

I didn't mean for this topic to get so heavy and I'm finally at a pretty good place in my life.  I don't think my self-esteem issues will ever go away but I am, continually, a work-in-progress.  I am trying to focus on the positive things that I do have going for me and not to dwell so much in the negative.

These are some ways that I try avoid the negativity. 

I try to remind myself to look how far I've come (in weigh loss and through personal issues).  I'm also at a point that I will seek help when I need it.  I never used to do that.  I would internalize everything and never share what I had going on in my cranium.   Chris and I communicate ALL THE TIME.  That made my focus shift from keeping everything in, to spilling it all out.  And I never realized how just talking things out can really make a difference and alleviate any stress that is going on.  If something is bothering me, I no longer hold back.  These things have been monumental in helping me bust through many of my confidence issues.

In what ways do you focus on the positives and stop being negative?



8 comments:

  1. I think you're pretty awesome :) I honestly think that mental battles are ten times tougher than physical ones. Overcoming negative thinking is one of the hardest things in the world and it's something that is a constant battle. It never goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I completely see myself as a shy person. My husband doesn't see it at all. I guess I am not nearly as shy as I used to be, but I can't seem to change the perception of myself. It makes me so happy to hear when people find happiness after bad experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having someone to share those feelings with that supports you is so important. There's a ton of negativity out there (and I really don't understand why so many people seem to thrive on it) I just try to avoid it whenever I can (it's why I rarely watch the news).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you and Chris communicate so well. That's a very key thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeking help is so important! So glad you have a better partner now in Chris to talk things through with. It definitely helps to have someone to share things with when you're having those negative and positive moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to mark these #Geekfit Friday's on my calendar! I keep forgetting about them. Anyway, you've created a great responds here, and as a teacher one of my main goals to help my students improve their self-esteem. Personally, I really enjoy the Ted Talk by Dr. Ivan Joseph...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, how have I missed this linkup?? I need to do this! I have been in a blogging funk lately, though. This can get me back on track! Great message in today's post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your honesty in this post. I needed to see/read it!!

    ReplyDelete