Monday, April 13, 2015

Weekly Recap & introducing a new family member!


I'd like to introduce you guys to our newest family member, Oliver Tiberius Stormageddon Roger Roger Marshall - or just "Ollie"!  :)     Nerdy side quest, can you name all the references that his proper name comes from, with the exception of his last name?  The vet's office is gonna LOVE me.  heh heh

The week wasn't so hot on the exercise front.  Exercise lately has been minimal at best.  Work has been insane this time of year and I barely have time to scarf down my lunch much less walk on my breaks, unfortunately.   I am hoping that after this week things will return to normal.  Plus I should be getting a few more steps in each day due to the above little dude (once we get the hang of the leash thing..)


Monday - 1h bowling
Tuesday - 2h 14m tennis match (Round Robin play)
Wednesday - 1h 31m tennis (team practice)
nothing else the rest of the week other than puppy prep

Food, this week was pretty ok.  Nothing too bad at least even with Game of Thrones back last night.  I kept everything mostly in check this weekend.

This week is supposed to be super rainy here, so it's likely that our Tuesday match will be postponed and practice may be out too so I'm hoping to actually get my behind to the gym again.  The Lovely Anna from Losing My Puppy is challenging herself to go outside of her comfort zone and get some swimming and biking in.  And I'm kinda itching to get back into the pool myself soon so maybe I will be able to get some swim time in in addition to elliptical and weights (which I REALLY need to get back to).

Back to the puppy.   We have been planning on adopting from a local rescue group once we got our yard completely fenced in.  Well that finally happened last week!  I had my eye on a cute little pup that I saw through petfinder.com and noticed that he was affiliated with the same rescue group that I used to volunteer with, A.P.A.W.S.   I took a risk and sent my application in sight unseen.  The lead rescue lady had been really good with emailing me back and forth with my questions about his temperament and she notified me not long after that we had been approved to rescue "Rocky", as he was formerly called.  We arranged a time to meet up on Saturday.  As Chris and I walked into our local Petsmart, we saw "Rocky" being walked out of the store.  I immediately panicked thinking that someone else had just adopted him!  I went to the desk and asked for the lady I had previously emailed and she said oh yes, Rocky just went out to potty and that he will be right back.  :) 

Phew.

We finally got formally introduced to him and were blown away.  Within seconds we knew he was the dog for us.  He is smart, cute, affectionate, well-mannered and just all the other amazing adjectives that I can come up with.  I cannot sing the praises enough of how well his foster family was with him.  I did exchange email address with is foster family in case we had any questions.  Holly (his foster mom) gave us a bag full of his food, treats, blankie, teething ring and his small bed and then they left fairly quickly.  I can only imagine how hard it must be for foster families.  Poor Ollie started off after them and started crying.  Then that in turn made me start to cry.  Oh man it was tough. 

After they left, we filled out the paperwork and then officially adopted him!  We needed to pick up a few things (food, a collar, etc) that we grabbed and then drove home.  He did really well in the car.  Once we got him home, things got interesting really quickly.  The cats are doing better than I expected with him but they are still not quite 100% on board.  I think each day that goes by they will get better and better though.  There have been no fights or territorial disputes so that's a relief.   Ollie has been almost perfect with the potty training though.  We only had one accident last night and he made a poo on the floor.  Other than that though, he has been going to the back door and asking to go out when he needs to.  I think with all the rain we've been getting lately that he is just not loving that so he hurries up and wants to get back inside.

Leash training will be interesting too though as he was not sure about that.  I attempted a walk with him yesterday and we only got about 8 houses away and he was shaking so bad, I ended up carrying him back home.  Of course, it could have been the rain also...

Anyways, here's a few pics from the weekend with our new little dude!  (Oh, and he's already been programmed with "Fetch version 1.0" and loves to play with tennis balls!)

I cannot recommend highly enough that if you are even slightly considering opening your heart and a home to a rescue dog, please do so!   We are over the moon and in love with this little guy!








BTW,  Netflix's new Daredevil show.... is AMAZEBALLS!  We are only on ep 7 but it is SO SO GOOD!

Are you watching?

25 comments:

  1. Oh Des!!!! He is adorable!!!! We've rescued lots of pets and they really do steal your heart. You're right, SO SO SO worth it. You have given Ollie a furever loving home. :) (PS, I got ALL the references. I can thank my husband for that!)

    Hopefully the cats will love him in time. Hey, they may even cuddle together like my two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ollie is so adorable! I am looking forward to more of his adventures as he completely takes over your home :) We had GoT celebration pizza last night. I am doing my best to walk the food straight and narrow this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! Yea, we ended up grilling steaks for GoT night and had baked potatoes too. Yea, I definitely need to do better with food this week. It's been eye opening going back to MFP, unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. Love your new sweet baby. Once he gets used to walking in the new neighborhood, it will be a great reason to get outside and be active with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aubrey! Yep, I'm definitely looking forward to more walkies with him!

      Delete
  4. ooooh he's adorable!!! I especially love the pic with Loki on your lap near Ollie :)

    references = check! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much April! (I knew you'd get the references!) :)

      Delete
  5. Yay for rescue dogs! I can't wait to meet this little guy at some point. He's seriously adorable. And I love that he's fitting in so well! Just make sure you socialize him a ton and he'll be the perfect pup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, we are working on it. I can't wait to be able to take him to the doggie park! :)

      Delete
  6. EEEEeeek!!! New puppy!!!!! That last picture is so cute I almost 'Awwww'd' out loud for the rest of my office to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww hahaha thanks so much! He has us wrapped around his little paw already!

      Delete
  7. He is so adorable! Congratulations on the new family member. I love the Doctor who reference in his name. And i love that i am not the only one who gives my dogs super long names :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's so stinkin' cute! Btw, I'm definitely calling him Stormy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! Yea, it will be a mouthful if we have to discipline him but fun! LOL

      Delete
  9. HE IS SO SWEET!! :) congrats. I think one of the best things I ever did was adopt our rescue dog, Clara. Love her to pieces.

    Have you thought about trying a gentle leader for his walks? I LOVE love love gentle leaders. Plus, they "look" like muzzles to ignorant passers-by so people will not randomly just try to pet your dog and scare him!!! I LOVE our gentle leader, it works wonders for Clara. http://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll look into those Gentle Leaders! Neat! We got him a harness just to start training him for walks. But I'll definitely check into the leaders!

      Delete
  10. Ollie is so precious! That last picture is everything, so cute! I know what you mean about the foster families, when we said that we were taking Molly, her foster mom burst into tears. I found out later on that she wanted to adopt Molly and hadn't really voiced it before. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww but it's so good to know that Molly was loved by them too :)

      Delete
  11. Aww, I have puppy fever, and I feel like all the blogs I follow are talking about dogs these days! We are hoping to get one soon, but it costs a ton to have a dog where we live right now, so we are waiting until we move in a few months. I'm super excited about that!! Just so you know, I absolutely LOVE your blog! It just makes me smile. :) I would love to play tennis and racquetball, and I hope to once we move to Birmingham in the fall. It just looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww hope you can get a pup of your own soon! Thanks so much! I hope you can! We need more bloggers playing tennis around these parts! I feel like I'm the only one sometimes! LOL

      Delete
  12. What a sweet potato! I really want a new puppy because I miss Obie so much, but we have to wait for Eli to get a bit older first. Plus, Erik's talking about getting a couple of chickens... Congrats on your new family member!

    ReplyDelete