Thursday, June 18, 2015

Houmas House Plantation

This post is not about fitness nor geekery!  (Although we did do a good amount of walking!)

Yesterday I took a mental health day off from work to spend with my family.  The main purpose was to drive down to NOLA and visit my 96 year old aunt.  But after a nice long visit (and she is still just as spunky and awesome as ever) we took the river road route instead of the interstate to do a little sight seeing along the way!  We passed close to 3 or 4 plantation homes and oodles of fabrication plants along the Mississippi River and then we finally decided on a whim to go ahead and check out one of the plantation homes.

We ended up at Houmas House Plantation in Darrow, Louisiana.


It's located a little less than halfway between Baton Rouge (where I live) and New Orleans and right smack on the edge of the levee near the river.

I will also say this.  I usually get creeped out going to places like this (the history...ugh), but this one didn't make me feel too uneasy.   I've been to several Plantations before (The Myrtles, Oak Alley, etc) since they are so abundant here in Louisiana but this was the best one I think. 

Here's a few pictures from our little in-state jaunt and I'll let them do the talking.  All in all it was a perfect little getaway from the day to day hustle of everyday life.  The grounds were absolutely stunning and its no wonder so many people want to have their wedding ceremonies performed here.










This is the coolest bookshelf I have ever seen!

From the second floor balcony looking towards the levee
And a small side note here.  All these animals were donated by my uncle and his family after he passed away 2 years ago.   He was a big game hunter.  (This is one of the reasons we have always wanted to see this home, to see these once more!)








My dad and uncle admiring a bird cage

A trip to a Southern plantation just would not be complete without a Mint Julep!


There was a bar in here.  Seriously.  And I wanted to steal that frog statue

12 comments:

  1. I love mental health days... I think I'm going to be taking one fairly soon because this morning I just did NOT want to go to work (and I like my job!)--never a good sign. It sounds like you had a really nice day! And your aunt is 96--holy moly! I imagine she must have some good stories to tell.

    I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've lived here for 2 years and still haven't really gone anywhere outside of NOLA. I've been to Baton Rouge a few times for work, but that's it (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't count). My husband and I want to tour some plantation homes, but it's hard with the little ones--I'm pretty sure they would not tolerate us taking our time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it is pretty hard to get away with little wiggly ones! Maybe when they get a bit bigger! :)

      She sure does, Christina. I'm glad we got the opportunity to visit her again and we really need to try to make that happen more often!

      Mental heath days are necessary!

      Delete
  2. Mental Health days are the best! (I took one yesterday too) that place looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a mental health day! Glad you got to visit that, I can see how the history can be rough. I like to think all that beauty now helps soothe the previous bad juju.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that bookcase! I saw one like up in Rhode Island in the swanky old houses up there. I confess I did a double take with the frog statue though. :) Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome pictures!! But...history freaks you out?! A little part of me just died inside... ;)

      Delete
  6. This is AMAZING! I am so glad you had such a nice trip. I would love to visit a place like that!

    ReplyDelete