Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Life...lately

To say that life has been crazy lately is a huge understatement!   I think (*hope*) that things are finally falling into place now and we can get back into some normal routines.

First up let me give a small recap of the knee situation.  May 9th during a tennis tournament I fell and landed hard on a concrete tennis court directly on my knee.   I stayed off of it pretty much the whole week because on the 16th we left to go to NYC.  During that week, I made an initial doctor appointment with my normal G.P. to assess the damage.  He told me R.I.C.E method basically and I should be ok since the x-ray showed no breaks and he gave me the clearance to go on my trip as scheduled.   Since I am on coumadin (blood thinners) for life, the bruising was pretty bad - and actually still is.  It will just take time to get over.  Anyway, I went on to NYC and with the amount of walking we did, I was still in a good amount of pain and dealt with all the swelling. I would take a tramadol ( a little more than tylenol ) to get through the day and then at night, had to rely on a hydrocodone. 

This is what it looked like after just one day of walking while in New York -


While still in NY, I contacted my G.P. and told him how bad it still was/is and he arranged for me to see an Orthopedic doctor on the Thursday (we flew back in on Wednesday).   I met with this new doctor and he prescribed me some anti-inflammatory meds (which affect the coumadin so I had to notify the people who manage my INR blood levels).  But, essentially that medicine did help with the infection.  The ortho did arrange for me to have an MRI, which I had last Wednesday.  On Thursday of last week, I had another follow up with the ortho.  Since then the swelling has mostly disappeared, as well as the redness.    He went over the results with the MRI with me and we got the best news.  Thankfully I only had some fluid buildup around the kneecap.   THANKYOUSWEETBABYJESUS!  Nothing torn, broken or strained.  It will just take time for the fluid and bruising to go away!  In hindsight probably walking all over New York City with a new injury may not have been the brightest idea I have ever had, but I would have really regretted not going. 

Exercise still has been minimal at best lately, but I am going to start taking baby steps to get back in the swing of things.  I'm going to try to get back to walking on my breaks at work and slowly introducing other things back into the equation.  I will play tennis for the first time since May 9th tomorrow.  Its with friends, and they know of my injury so if I even start to feel any discomfort, I will stop.   I'm also thinking about maybe planning to do at least one day of swimming in per week and getting back into a good gym routine too when not playing tennis.

On the other hand, since my exercise hasn't been the greatest, Chris and I have been doing really well with eating and trying new veggies out.  We had baked fish Sunday night when we had our normal Sunday night gathering.  We normally make loads of stuff on this night and it's not usually healthy either since we also feed our friend John and also Chris's brother on this night.  But this time everyone ate fish, carrots, and brussels sprouts!  (This time I didnt eat them though, they were ick.  I'm not sure if Chris cooked them differently than he had earlier in the week or what but the smell of them got to me this time and I couldn't eat it). 

Back to the whole crazy that has been my life lately.  In the last 2 weeks, we've seen my daughter turn 21, Mr. Skinny Geek and I bought her a car, I've had numerous doctor appointments, Chris's car when into the shop so we've been living on 1 vehicle for the last few days, Chris has had several job interviews and I've had to go with Devyn twice to the dmv - once to renew her license and then to get the title of her car.   Phew.  It's been insane.

On top of ALL that, Dev got her car on Saturday.  On Saturday night, we got "the call".  The car had stalled out on her.   We just got it that morning!  Are you freaking kidding me!? 

Earlier that day, in happier times

And after...
So yea, its at the shop now.  The good news is that its not the engine.  We think it's just the catalytic converter which is an easy fix.   She should get it back today or tomorrow.

Sometimes its like Murphy's law around here.

And I'm just exhausted. 


In puppy news, Ollie just had his last round of puppy shots this weekend so now we can plan to take him to the dog park and we have already signed up this little dude for obedience training!   I can't wait.  He has taken to jumping on people, a lot, and it is definitely time for some training.  We start a week from tomorrow.




21 comments:

  1. That last picture, did he do something wrong? BEcause his face says, "I'm in trouble" hahahhaha.

    I'm so glad your knee is ok. Yeah, maybe walking around NYC wasn't the best idea, but at least you made some awesoem memories and didn't seriously injure yourself. Glad your eating has been on par! GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL actually during that pic he just was happy to be outside and it not be raining for once. We've been getting swamped with rain lately.

      Thanks. Me too. So glad its is mostly ok now!

      Delete
  2. The next time I'm down in Louisiana, I maaaaaay try to slip that dog into my purse and take him. ;) Kidding of course, but man he's a cutie! And your life has just been cray lately, I'm hoping things slow down for you and that your knee continues to heal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You know we get so many compliments on him. He really is a cutie and my chocolate baby! (I'd have to fight you all the way back to Oregon though for him!)

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. I loved doing training with my monsters. You'll have fun! And I'm glad that the knee is finally behaving. Stupid injuries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I'm really looking forward to it too! I'm worried that he will be the terror of the group LOL

      Delete
  4. Glad your knee is on the mend--it looks super painful in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just take your time with that knee!!!
    and you obviously are still working it, that last picture of you shows your loss! Scroll back up and look at your before pic, even the far right picture compared to this one is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness! Take your time with your knee and let it heal up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look absolutely lovely in that white shirt! Ollie sure is a cutie. I'm glad to hear that the car is an easy fix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness it's only a flesh wound ;). Glad to hear it's healing and that you had a great time in NY despite being injured. That pup is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love a good chatty catch up :) You have definitely been a roller coaster lately...so glad you are finally getting to come in the station and get a breather. I seriously want to be on that flight when you are chasing Mary down to get Mr. Adorbs back. Don't worry about Ollie being the terror of the class...nothing is better than seeing the goofy wild one from class one transform by the end of the session...everyone will love him :) My mom has taught obedience classes for 50 years and she tells every single class she is training the people not the dog. Oh yeah, and my dog is a nut, so take my advice with a big fat grain of salt :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad your knee is doing a little better and you're getting back to tennis! You guys are doing great testing out healthy things while you're sidelined. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iam glad to see that your knee is better. I am also planning to take up tennis, novice here though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot take the cuteness that is Ollie! I just love him! And I know he will do great @ obedience training. :) Yay that the knee is getting better--I'm glad you still went to NYC, too :) You will get back in the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete