Wednesday, July 22, 2015

NYC trip - Day 1

It just occurred to me that I have never posted about our trip to New York!

We had such an amazing time.  I'll try to break it down by day since I think I took over 300 pictures!

We had a large gaggle of ladies go on this trip.  It was mostly organized by some of my mom's former co-workers who in turn invited my mom and then subsequently me, 2 of my aunts, a cousin and a family friend.   When all was said and done, we had about 20 of us total!

Mom, Aunt Darlene and I stayed in NOLA the night before near the airport since our flight left around 8am.  You never know how traffic is going to be when commuting so we just opted to take the safer route and stayed the night before.  I don't usually get nervous when flying, except when I saw that this was our plane.  I think we felt every air current along the way. 



Thankfully we had a pretty un-eventful flight and landed safely into JFK airport.  We got our luggage and headed to the shuttle that took us to our hotel.



First taxi that we spotted

A cute little row of houses in Queens

First look at Manthattan


We stayed at the Hotel Edison, which is right around the corner from Times Square.  Overall we were very pleased with the hotel. 


Except for one thing...  Can you spot what is missing?





A dresser.  Yep, we had no dresser.  We paid for an upgraded room and were a little miffed that we had to live out of suitcases the entire trip.  At least it was easy to settle in.  We threw our bags down and then went exploring!




The hotel lobby.



After about an hour of walking around Times Square and the vicinity of our hotel, we had to get ready for our first night! 


We had dinner at Sardi's and it was all kinds of amazing.  I highly recommend spending the money to eat here.  The food was delicious and so was the dessert!





After dinner, we hoofed it to the Gershwin Theatre to watch the Broadway play, Wicked!

Some of the original costumes from the play

And the stage

The show itself was amazing.  I never really had any desire to go to a Broadway play before but that was just the introduction I needed.  I'd definitely do this again if I ever find myself back in New York.  It was amazing to see a live performance.  

We did manage to see only one celebrity while out and about during the whole trip. It was our first night there and we saw Matthew Morrison (from Glee)!

Sorry he is kinda blurry.  It was hard to snap the pic
 After such a wonderful first day, we walked back to our hotel and collapsed!  Day 2 coming soon!

14 comments:

  1. I love the photos. How weird that your room didn't have a dresser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, I think the only thing "upgraded" about the room was that it had a fancy smancy bathroom. Ahh well.

      Delete
  2. Awesome photos!! I was just there too! I wanted to see Wicked so bad but the others I was with chose Chicago. There will be a next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! Next time definitely go see Wicked! Chicago is one of my favorite movies so I'd LOVE to see the play! :)

      Delete
  3. How awesome! A NYC trip is on my bucket list so I loved looking at your pictures! Seeing Wicked is a dream for me! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you definitely should go one day! Keep watching, I'll have more pics from my trip coming up soon!

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love Wicked. And if you are into humor, like smart and irreverant humor, I highly recommend Book of Mormon. It's touring right now so it might come to a city near you and YOU SHOULD SEE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book of Mormon is definitely on my must sees. I love quirky so it looks right up my alley!

      Delete
  5. Still bummed I didnt get to see you while you were up here......

    I am in the same boat as you weight wise - sucks but we are both doing something about it not just wallowing or giving up so we are going to do it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited that you posted pictures...it makes me think I would actually like to go sometime. Maybe the tour would be a good option otherwise it feels very overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! Those teeny tiny planes make me nervous too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's something amazing about your first experience with live theater :) Glad you're sharing your pics!

    ReplyDelete