Saturday, August 1, 2015

My gall bladder and me

For about the last 3 weeks I've been dealing with some tummy issues.  Well, I say tummy but what I really mean to say is horrendous heartburn and occasional vomiting that will impress even Linda Blair in The Exorcist.  I had been to an After Hours Clinic and an actual doctor, both of whom made me drink a lidocane(sp?) cocktail that just numbed my esophagus and told me to take pepcid, tums and nexium.  (all of which I STILL vomited up).  Finally a week ago today, I couldn't take anymore and Chris convinced me to go to the E.R.  I am so glad I did.  Once I got into the e.r. they immediately started checking things out and running tests.  They did an x-ray and an ultrasound within the first hour of me being there.  The ultrasound guy immediately started asking questions, "do you have a sharp pain behind your shoulder blades?"  Um, why yes, I do actually.  "Have you been vomiting any?" Like I was possessed.  "Oh yea, well you have a very large gall stone in your gall bladder".  Uhhh ok.

They wheeled me back to the E.R. and the doc on call came in and said yep, you need the gall bladder out.  We are admitting you.

This was basically how I looked for about 2 weeks prior to and in the E.R...


So after waiting Saturday night, all of Sunday and all of Monday for my Coumadin to clear out of my system, they had me on the operating table Tuesday morning.

After I came to, the surgeon came in and said that he was really impressed.  I officially had the largest gall stone that he had ever seen.  I was still hazy at this point but apparently 4 cm is a big deal in gall stones.  He asked if I wanted to see it and I said "sure!" so he texted it to me.



They finally discharged me Wednesday evening and I've been home recovering ever since.  It's been a bumpy road but I'm just glad they figured out what was going on.  I'm slowly starting to get back to walking (as of this morning) and hope to be back up to full speed as soon as I can be but will definitely listen to my body.

So glad to also be eating normal food again.  This was my diet in the hospitial.






I've actually been still really scared to eat anything too rich so I'm still eating pretty bland - pretty much just chicken, pork and fish and veggies.  So this is a win on the diet front at least.  I'm actually craving healthy food!

17 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you're home and starting to feel better. Had me worried for a bit there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary stuff! Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I'm glad you went to the ER and they figured out what was wrong! What a mess that the other doctors didn't though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yea. I'm glad Chris convinced me to go. Who knows how long I would have been in misery.

      Delete
  4. Oh no!! Glad to hear you are home and on the mend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of my internal organs cringed at the picture of that stone. Ouch! I'm so glad they got the thing out of you and you are healing nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....or should I say, ouch! That thing is huge! And the level of pain is obviously justified, you my friend are a true Wonder Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got that out and can move on to feeling so much better. You really inspired me this weekend they way you were out and about so soon after your surgery :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you're home and feeling better! That is an impressive gall stone - did they offer to send it home with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish. I asked but they said no because of bacteria or some mumbo jumbo. :(

      Delete
  9. Wow!!! That thing is huge!! I'm so glad you got it out and that you can begin to recover! Lots of hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete