Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Reflecting on 3 years

I'm coming up on the 3 year fitness anniversary mark on the 7th of this month.  Since that date falls on the weekend and I rarely look at a blog much less actually write a post, I thought I'd share a few things here today.   (And the fact that this weekend has a new Bond movie opening too...and a LSU vs. Bama game).

I first started blogging for nothing else than to help keep me accountable.  I had a place where I could lay out my wishes and my failures and figure out what works for me and what doesn't.   I initially named my blog "There and back again and then some" and also because The Hobbit was in production at the time and I had just started re-reading it.  The blog name reflected the truth since I had started and stopped the whole diet mentality at least 834 times in my adult life.  But it was also long.  Of course, Finding the Skinny Geek Within is also long but I ended up settling on FTSGW since it reflects more as to who I am.  A few posts in, I wrote this.  It's sort of a history as to how I got to where I was when I started this journey.

In browsing around my blog, I look at all the hard work that just one year made.  I was on top of the world!  Progress is an amazing thing y'all.   And then sometimes real life happens.

In the blink of an eye, we lost Chris's father,  dealt with some late teen angst and issues, and plenty of injuries too.

There's been some pretty amazing stuff happen as well though!  Chris and I had an amazing time at Disney World for our 10th anniversary trip!  Played a LOT of tennis.  And even made it to the USTA Southern Sectionals in Tennessee!  Came in last not only once but twice in a few races and I've learned since that it's not necessarily a bad thing!  ;)
 
I've had a lot of successes but I've also had a lot of missteps along the way.  When I started this journey, I had envisioned myself to be much farther along than I am now.  I got lazy and complacent.  I fell back into bad habits and lost my way.  Had it not been for tennis, I'm certain I'd be well over my original starting weight by now.  Summers are always the worst for me.  I struggle during the heat and humidity and just do not want to do anything active.  I actually do much better in the winter with everything.   Which brings me to the present. 

I feel the motivation coming back.  I want to put the work in.  I am ready.

May 2012
May 2012
October 2015

October 2015

15 comments:

  1. You look wonderful and have come so far. Beyond the physical changes, I think you're just a stronger person overall :) And it has been a pleasure to become your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a crazy year hasn't it? I agree with Tiina, I can see the change in you physically for the better, and I know you're awesome. We'll find our groove, I know we will! I am so proud of your tennis accomplishments, I would be scared to death playing in front of people like that. I think you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one think you are awesome and no matter how many steps back we take as long as we keep taking some foward we are good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny...winter is by far the hardest for me, and summer is the easiest, even with the heat. I can totally relate to the start/stop thing...I think anyone who has struggled with their weight probably can, especially if it's a significant amount. I'm hoping I've finally gotten to the point in my journey that I've managed to stop that awful cycle...but I'm not to goal yet, and it's always there in the back of my mind...what if?? I applaud you for not giving up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a wild ride, but you've made so many positive steps and changes along the way! You have a lot to be proud of! P.S. I enjoyed the walk down memory lane and reading the linked posts :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three years and so many positive changes in your life! Thanks for linking us your posts and letting us relive your years :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post....positive and upbeat about the changes that you have made in your life and where you are going. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it amazing to have this archive to look back and see how far you've come? You've made huge strides and I know you're crush it now that your mojo has returned!

    ReplyDelete